Old Disc Brake drum reused

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
I needed an accurate flat surface with a 30 degree bevel to help out in scraping the gibs
on my compound and cross slide. An old disc brake disc was sawed off and milled flat. I used a
home made 30 degree tapered end mill for the beveled surface. The cutter was machined from
a piece of annealed truck axle and then hardened by heating it cherry red and dousing it in used
motor oil. I didn't temper the cutter after the oil bath. It cuts cast iron easily so was happy with the
result. Not being high speed steel, one needs to proceed somewhat slowly and not get the cutter hot.
I cut the cast iron dry. The scraping took several hours to get a decent flat surface. Ulma Doctor
was right that one can have hours and hours of fun scraping.

The two photos show the set up and also the finished flat surface with the 30 degree bevel.
Also in the photo is the corner of the old brake disc used . Old brake discs seem to have
good cast iron in them. I had some doubts since it had served 160,000 miles on an automobile
being heated up and cooled down so many times. The second photo shows the blued beveled
surface after scraping it in.

View media item 95891View media item 95892

Last edited:
Back