Old Drill Press restoration problem - need gear rack

rfdes

Active User
Registered
Hi -
I'm looking for suggestions as to where to locate a reasonably priced 5 pitch gear rack for my drill press restoration.
The DP was missing the rack and I didn't realize how expensive a new one would be. I figured I might be able to scrounge
an old surplus unit somewhere but haven't been successful.

The drill press is an old Canedy-Otto 18" floor model. The gear rack is about 2ft long and used for moving the table up/down.
The typical places want something on the order of $300 for a piece of stock. Out of my budget. So, if anyone has some ideas
where to find an alternative, it would be appreciated.

thanks
Jim

Jim--it would help to know the side and face widths of the rack--Dave

Here are some images of the gear rack off of another fellow's Royal 18.
I don't know for sure the length of the rack but it looks like approx 2'.

thanks
Jim

IMG_0760.jpgIMG_0758.jpgIMG_0762.jpgIMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg IMG_0758.jpg IMG_0762.jpg IMG_0759.jpg

Jim--it looks like your rack must be approx 3/4" wide face--I have some at my other shop that I can measure this week--I think it is maybe 3/4" square so you would need to mill the back to the size depth that you need if it will work --yours looks to be about 1/2 thick--I'll let you know when I get mine from the other shop---Dave

Jim--i have the rack and need to know the length you need--you can PM me the length and your address----Dave
*note--unless you have already found a rack

Last edited:
Jim, I just picked up the same press the other day. Mine is missing the rack and the mechanism for the table also. My column doesn't have any screw holes for it either... It does have a heavy duty spring between the head and the table that seems to work really well.

On a side note, does your motor have the pulley stack? mine only had one small pulley and the 6 stack pulley on the spindle. If you do have the step pulley on the motor, can you tell me the # of pulleys in the stack and what sizes they are?

Thanks!

Lorne

Hi -
I'm looking for suggestions as to where to locate a reasonably priced 5 pitch gear rack for my drill press restoration.
The DP was missing the rack and I didn't realize how expensive a new one would be. I figured I might be able to scrounge
an old surplus unit somewhere but haven't been successful.

The drill press is an old Canedy-Otto 18" floor model. The gear rack is about 2ft long and used for moving the table up/down.
The typical places want something on the order of $300 for a piece of stock. Out of my budget. So, if anyone has some ideas
where to find an alternative, it would be appreciated.

thanks
Jim
Hi Jim and group. I am new to this group having just bought a Royal 18 model myself which is also missing the rack for the table lifting. I have the crank assembly. Would really appreciate some guidance as to where I can buy or obtain the correct rack for the table lift. Attached is a photo set of my unit. It is serial number 18-541. I am located in BC Canadá. Did the 5 pitch by two feet long by 3/4 wide by 1/2 inch deep with the bottom four inches plain solution work? Would that be all I would need to describe the part? Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 090C4D98-DD66-439D-B2F8-802C539925CB.jpeg
    090C4D98-DD66-439D-B2F8-802C539925CB.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 0F010F1E-98CB-4F82-85B7-24080371E638.jpeg
    0F010F1E-98CB-4F82-85B7-24080371E638.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 853AEBD7-4306-4337-8E6A-4D9847908D5E.jpeg
    853AEBD7-4306-4337-8E6A-4D9847908D5E.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 8D4E699E-48E1-4AE9-B122-80D16BAAE0CE.jpeg
    8D4E699E-48E1-4AE9-B122-80D16BAAE0CE.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11
Jim--i have the rack and need to know the length you need--you can PM me the length and your address----Dave
*note--unless you have already found a rack
Hi Dave I am A few years late but do you still have a suitable rack ? I am in the same boat as Jim was.
Regards
Lorne

Hi Dave I am A few years late but do you still have a suitable rack ? I am in the same boat as Jim was.
Regards
Lorne
Lorne,
you are testing my memory----I know I have some short sections, but do you know if the 2 feet length is correct. what I have is 3/4" wide by 3/4" thick so what Jim said he needed was less than 3/4" thick, so you would need to mill the back to the desired thickness. that was eight years ago and I can't remember if Jim answered me or not. Jim was last seen on May of 2020, so maybe he can recall if I sent him a rack and he solved his problem, try sending him a PM to ask him how he got his fixed and the correct dimentions.-- anyway I will look to see if I have a 2 foot length of the rack at my other shop this week.
Dave

Hi Jim and group. I am new to this group having just bought a Royal 18 model myself which is also missing the rack for the table lifting. I have the crank assembly. Would really appreciate some guidance as to where I can buy or obtain the correct rack for the table lift. Attached is a photo set of my unit. It is serial number 18-541. I am located in BC Canadá. Did the 5 pitch by two feet long by 3/4 wide by 1/2 inch deep with the bottom four inches plain solution work? Would that be all I would need to describe the part? Thanks for reading.
Nice,
I just completely rebuilt a 1930’s Canedy-Otto, Royal 16. Made by Cincinnati Lathe and Tool.
The quality of these are impressive imho.

Back