Old flat screen TV's.

NortonDommi

Registered
Registered
This popped up in my YouTube recommended, subsequently a friend who travels a lot so rarely visits came by the next evening to show off the trailer home he is building and mentioned that he had just seen a YouTube video on making lights from old TV's. Talk about synchronicity! More along that line a few days ago he said he had called in on someone else he knows and they are now working for a large retailer who gets the odd return of faulty TV's. I think the universe is saying something.
Enough preamble here is an interesting video that could potentially solve a few lighting problems in the workshop. Apart from lighting around machines it may be good for highlighting on panel repairs for those working on vehicles. Post mounting would have to be better than those horrible Halogen glare things.

Turning Smashed TVs into Realistic Artificial Daylight - YouTube

Wow that's a great lighting solution for my low-ceiling basement shop. Thanks for posting the link.

very interesting. thanks for sharing.
-brino

I just posted a comment there asking for lumens/watt of the panels when using the varying components. They do not appear they would be energy hogs, or substantial room heat sources.

In addition to using them for lighting, the prismatic sheet in them is really cool to play with. Lots of wild visual and lighting effects. :)

Very interesting, it would be a much cheaper way to light up the hen house for winter
egg laying stimulus, led's don't eat much power............. :grin:

I knew i kept that broken tv that I was gonna throw away a couple months ago for something just didnt know what! I decided to keep it because ive never seen how a flatscreen was made and wanted to dissect it for usable parts if anything was there and now I have a perfect project for it. Thanks for posting.

Cool vid... I'm going to check out the vid he has for doing this with laptop screens. I have a few old ones hanging around that could be good candidates for this. :)

A friend gave me a non-functional 32 inch flat screen TV. I did some repair work on the switching mode power supply
and returned it to a functional condition. Currently I am using it on my computer as a 32 inch monitor. It's nice to know
that if it ever fails completely that the screen may have other possible uses. Thanks for the information.

Back