Old Habit = Cut Finger

Welcome to the Forum! I've been here a year and love the community. It is friendly and insightful. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions or share knowledge.

- Mike

That picture should be hanging on the wall directly behind every lathe in the country. It can happen so easily. Thanks for the reminder, oh and welcome to the Forum. This is a great place to hang around.

The rather Grumpy One

One of the worst burns I had was when I was stick welding overhead and a piece of slag fell off into my high top boot collar and burned my sock into my skin about a dime size. Never got my boot off so fast. Bad memory.
Number one reason I don't wear underwear and have good wool socks with boots that fit snug or Rigger type that can be kicked off fast. Feeling a bit of hot slag burn through your overalls or come in your coller and run all the way down and out the leg without hanging up is a real relief.

Number one reason I don't wear underwear
I dont wear underwear neither, my underwear wont fit over my diaper,,,but seriously, have done alot of welding over the years and know first hand the pain a glob of hot molten metal can do to the body and the long time it takes to heal,,,something that a welder has to endure and just keep going, not much time to stop when the work needs to be done..

I dont wear underwear neither, my underwear wont fit over my diaper,,,but seriously, have done alot of welding over the years and know first hand the pain a glob of hot molten metal can do to the body and the long time it takes to heal,,,something that a welder has to endure and just keep going, not much time to stop when the work needs to be done..

Yup! By the time I get my boot off it's stopped burning so I just ignore it, sometimes it takes a little longer.

:grin: I just stuck a pic half way thru my finger . Nice …...Kevlar is cut resistant but not puncture proof .

When I worked as a mechanic, my mentor stabbed his finger with a pick & it went all the way through! Whenever I use my picks I'm scared of them cause I have that same exact Snap-On set that he poked his finger with. My set is over 15 yrs old but they still look new because of the fear of using them. I think I should get a new set so that memory doesn't pop into my head everytime I pull that set out of the drawer. :D

When I worked as a mechanic, my mentor stabbed his finger with a pick & it went all the way through! Whenever I use my picks I'm scared of them cause I have that same exact Snap-On set that he poked his finger with. My set is over 15 yrs old but they still look new because of the fear of using them. I think I should get a new set so that memory doesn't pop into my head everytime I pull that set out of the drawer. :D

Gosh now that you’ve reminded me about be done that once or ten times before. Always the 90* pick trying to pull something out of a slot or groove. Like replacing the shaft seal on a hydraulic cylinder. Very tough of a seal to get in and out of the groove in the cap. Left hand holding the cap trying to contort the seal with the pick in my right pulling towards the center of cap. Then pick rips through dried up seal and right into my left hand. Usually causing me to drop the cap probably in some oil dry. Never fails it happens first job of the morning so I’m irritating it will oils and cleaners allll day.

Back