Old Habit = Cut Finger

I think its human nature to try and grab the chips with your hand. I catch my self doing it quite often, been cut a few times, nothing serious though. I have to train my dna to use the chip grabber, pliers or what ever. Hard to teach a dog new tricks. It's like trying catch somethin before it hits the floor and does damage, juts let go, ask me how I know

Yeah, I remember watching the chuck key fly in High School.
Being a shop teacher and a driver’s ed. Teach deserve hazard/stress pay.

Hi Guys, been awhile..
I was going to post some questions about a project I'm working on in another area but of course had to tell another story first about one of my injuries that I thought of the other day..

This company I worked for would extend truck frames, bolting a channel into the frame to extend and then bolting it in with many 1" fine thread bolts.

I think I was about 20 years old then.

I worked about 3 weeks on this truck and was excited that I was just about done putting all the nuts on the bolts, gave it a nice coat of black paint and it looked brand new again.

Was just backing it out of the shop and the supervisor says, "HEY" you screwed up, "What",, all the bolts need lock nuts not regular nut, Gees, now to take them all off and put on lock nuts.

So here I go, repetitive motion, take one nut off with air wrench, reverse wrench, put nut in deep well socket, and put new nut on..

After awhile I had a nut stuck in the socket, so I stuck my finger in the socket to remove the nut and when I put air wrench under my arm to support it.. ZZZZIIIIPPPP, I hit the trigger and screwed the nut all the way on my finger. Oh Sh=t, pulled finger out and wasn't sure what to do so put air wrench into reverse, put finger back in and screwed the nut off, it wasn't to tight but could feel that it wanted to twist the finger joint apart..

Its Off,, WOW.. It wasn't bleeding or any thing until i found that little piece of skin to pull on, and the little piece ended up being about 6' long like a slinky..Then the bleeding and pain started.

Need to go to doc and the x rays should that I did thread my 2 finger joints, still hurts to this day and took about 1.5 years to heal..

So, that's my story, and have never done that again..

Now, to Post my original question where it belongs

Have a Nice day,
Tim

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint:

Hi Guys, been awhile..
I was going to post some questions about a project I'm working on in another area but of course had to tell another story first about one of my injuries that I thought of the other day..

This company I worked for would extend truck frames, bolting a channel into the frame to extend and then bolting it in with many 1" fine thread bolts.

I think I was about 20 years old then.

I worked about 3 weeks on this truck and was excited that I was just about done putting all the nuts on the bolts, gave it a nice coat of black paint and it looked brand new again.

Was just backing it out of the shop and the supervisor says, "HEY" you screwed up, "What",, all the bolts need lock nuts not regular nut, Gees, now to take them all off and put on lock nuts.

So here I go, repetitive motion, take one nut off with air wrench, reverse wrench, put nut in deep well socket, and put new nut on..

After awhile I had a nut stuck in the socket, so I stuck my finger in the socket to remove the nut and when I put air wrench under my arm to support it.. ZZZZIIIIPPPP, I hit the trigger and screwed the nut all the way on my finger. Oh Sh=t, pulled finger out and wasn't sure what to do so put air wrench into reverse, put finger back in and screwed the nut off, it wasn't to tight but could feel that it wanted to twist the finger joint apart..

Its Off,, WOW.. It wasn't bleeding or any thing until i found that little piece of skin to pull on, and the little piece ended up being about 6' long like a slinky..Then the bleeding and pain started.

Need to go to doc and the x rays should that I did thread my 2 finger joints, still hurts to this day and took about 1.5 years to heal..

So, that's my story, and have never done that again..

Now, to Post my original question where it belongs

Have a Nice day,
Tim

My face while reading the end of this story.
GslKWzP.gif

I just don't know why we and I say we,because all of us one time or another thought we are tougher than steel do stupid things like that. I am just glad this story had a good ending.

Your some good guys, bakrch, I look like that when I forget to take my drugs...

Good Day

I know I have posted in this Goof & Blunders section before, but this is toe-curling, cover-your-face, look away, hair-raising, shudder right through stuff!

Holding stringy chips is just plain stupid. Now if I could just follow my own advise........I would still have ten fingers.

Back