old hand shaper restoration

Ive never seen a manually powered shaper before, heck I didn't even know they existed for that matter although I dont know why its such a surprise to me that they do! Anyway nice job, id like to see how it cuts.

Ive never seen a manually powered shaper before, heck I didn't even know they existed for that matter although I dont know why its such a surprise to me that they do! Anyway nice job, id like to see how it cuts.

it cuts very well, including it is used for internal work as a key way
greetings from Brazil
Celso Ari

I've been trying to find one of these since I first hear about them - still haven't see one in the flesh.
Nice job!

I've been trying to find one of these since I first hear about them - still haven't see one in the flesh.
Nice job!

Garry Martin at Martin Model and Pattern sells a casting kit to build one similar to this one. I think it's a bit smaller. They also come up occasionaly on eBay, but don't expect to get one cheap. I think the casting kit is close to $500 and you probably won't find a used one for less than that. I've got the casting kit but haven't started machining it yet. I'm beginning to think I'm more of a casting kit collector than I am a hobby machinist :)

Yeah, I've been considering that casting kit but it's a bit steep.
I've seen just about everything else for sale on CL or at auctions here in the northeastm but not a hand shaper. Probably not a very high adoptioon rate for those.

Yeah, I've been considering that casting kit but it's a bit steep.
I've seen just about everything else for sale on CL or at auctions here in the northeastm but not a hand shaper. Probably not a very high adoptioon rate for those.

Yea, I expect they were never as popular after WWII as the powered variants, and the likelihood of a bunch of pre WWII items like this making it through the scrap metal drives isn't all that good.

Back