Old Hein Werner Floor Jack Repair

rafe
A local hydraulic shop told me they could supply any of the seals that I might need for this old Hein Werner jack.
Just bring them in and match them up.

Terry

They all say that, but it's a different story when you show them the seal for an import!

M

I looked for a US made jack. They started at $3-400 for the smaller 1-1/2 ton jacks. Not worth it for home use, but the harbor freight route was the bottom of the barrel. Called the jack stores locally and they said most jacks today are imports. They quit handling jacks leaving it to auto suppliers. The China jack I tried is a 'Ranger'. It's fair as I described. Looking at the schematic, they use 'o' rings for seals. Easy to replace, but not load capable for something heavy using a lipped type swell seal.

They claimed several tons weight, but it still groans under weight from my '07 Tundra at 5100 lbs empty. That's one wheel. I still had to keep the spacer as it only extends 20" and the spacer needed is another 4". The ranger is short, so extension is an issue- plenty good for the garage guys.

Check it out- Wouldn't recommend anything without a couple years of actual service- unless it was a US built Heinz Warner

http://www.asedeals.com/Ranger_floor_jacks.html

rafe
A local hydraulic shop told me they could supply any of the seals that I might need for this old Hein Werner jack.
Just bring them in and match them up.

Terry

Nothing local here I may be able to find some online if I get lucky, I pulled it out of the corner of the garage and it's leaking when pumped .....been idle too long ...I measured it from front to handle tip just a tad under 8foot I've always called it the alligator ...but I'm pretty sure it's a greyhound the "Big-Boy" the body is 52 or so inches

jack.jpg

I've got a ~50 year old 2 ton floor jack that was my favorite for many years until I overloaded it and I believe flipped the main seal. I bought a newer Sears model with the rapid stroke option that I really despise. I've dreaded tearing the old one down. It's made for Sears, so I'm sure I can find some parts for it, but it's hard to put it high on the project list when I do have one that works. I can't make out the model number, so I'll probably just need to tear it down and go seal hunting. Funny thing, the shop I worked at back in the 70's where we did metalizing, the other end of the shop was a hydraulics shop where we did repairs on jacks, dump truck cylinders, you name it. And air tools of all sorts. The jack wasn't broken at the time, so it wasn't a concern, and that place is long out of business.

I wish my project list was shrinking.....instead, it's growing.

I wish my project list was shrinking.....instead, it's growing.

found the seals I need and I have removed the hydraulic unit...that meant taking off one side, so Ive decided to totally go over the darned thing....had to remove the front wheels looks like it had the original grease, more like tar ....20 1-5/8 long roller bearings in one side 19 in the other so I made another. Seal kit was pretty expensive so I figured I'd do it all up right including new blue paint after a complete cleaning and inspection...Once I finish it it will be nice and saleable if needed....that's a quarter on it for scale

jack unit.JPG

The go to place for info on these seems to be Garage Journal... There's a guy there that services floor jacks, and has for some time who not only can ID them fast, but in many cases he inventories the parts for them. I seem to be lucky in finding unique things... Some of my woodworking gear is the only known example... I seem to have gotten just as lucky with my jack. It's an Allstate from Sears. As best as we've been able to tell it was made by Norco, long, long ago. It leaks down now, so I'm going to have to go through this myself soon. My first floor jack was a Craftsman. I don't really use it that much, but even so, I managed to wear out the pump. No, not just the ****ty O-Ring... First I found the push rod that carries the O-Ring was worn, so I replaced that with a piece of hardened drill rod. Then I found out the pump bore was worn too. The jack was only a couple years old, and was on the scrap heap. I've got another China special from Allied that has done better, but I'm sure that will go too. The Allstate is going to be the jack once I get off my butt and get the seals...

The go to place for info on these seems to be Garage Journal... There's a guy there that services floor jacks, and has for some time who not only can ID them fast, but in many cases he inventories the parts for them. I seem to be lucky in finding unique things... Some of my woodworking gear is the only known example... I seem to have gotten just as lucky with my jack. It's an Allstate from Sears. As best as we've been able to tell it was made by Norco, long, long ago. It leaks down now, so I'm going to have to go through this myself soon. My first floor jack was a Craftsman. I don't really use it that much, but even so, I managed to wear out the pump. No, not just the ****ty O-Ring... First I found the push rod that carries the O-Ring was worn, so I replaced that with a piece of hardened drill rod. Then I found out the pump bore was worn too. The jack was only a couple years old, and was on the scrap heap. I've got another China special from Allied that has done better, but I'm sure that will go too. The Allstate is going to be the jack once I get off my butt and get the seals...

The guy you are talking about is Hiball, but he no longer hangs out at the GJ as they ticked him off, he now hangs out at "thegaragegazette.com" look him up, he will have the kit you need or can get one for you. Hiball is good folks.

Thanks for the reference, Buck.

Good to see you back around.

:thumbzup:TERRY this is chevyman i have a heins-werner model m that i inherited from my dad he had a shop and has had this jack for many years and it always worked great. but from setting up to long the shaft on the piston started leaking do to pits and rust being on the shaft. i decided to install a new one. i noticed you had a new one in your pictures. i would like to find out where you got yours so i could get the parts to fix mine. it's to good of a jack just to get rid of compared to some of the jacks i have seen in the stores. i would be thankful for any information.

The pin that holds the Hydraulic unit in place was bent badly too.
I had to cut one end off to get it out.
It was letting the Hydraulic unit move back against the gears that operate the valve causing them to bind.

The Jack with the Hydraulic unit removed.

The new rod and pin ready to install.

Cleaned up and ready to go back together.

The Hydraulic unit assembled and ready to be installed.

Getting it back together would have been easier with another pair of hands.

Back together and working again.

Good for another 50 years!

This jack was built to last forever I found that it had ten grease fittings on it. More than most of the trucks I work on.
I could have called my employer and requested a new jack and had one next week but I hate to see something like this go to the
salvage yard. Everything is disposable nowadays.

Terry[/QUOTE]

Chevyman
I had to make the new piston shaft. The original one the piston was pressed on and swaged.
I reused the old piston and leather packing. I used a bolt to hold the piston on the new shaft.
I don't remember the diameter but it was a standard size I used a length of turned and ground shaft
and machined the ends as required.

Terry

Back