Old Index Mill

You've got the one that is pictured on the cover of the manual. Looks like you have it will all the power feeds - that's cool, and
I believe that your idler pulley is the plate mounted one on a slider plate which beats the heck out of the pivoting one that mine has.
Which is a pee-poor design...

It's nice that you scored a manual, cause the one I bought from Wells-Index is worthless IMO. It's suppose to be for the Model 40,
and I guess they had a couple of different variations for the model. Rather general in scope and vague in certain sections. I'm still
looking for a lubrication points page...

Waste of $45 except that I currently needed the part numbers for the spindle bearings, but the drawings look like they were done
by an 8th grader in their first technical drawing class.

As for the holder/adapter - I'll post a picture of mine later today after I get some time in the shop.

_Dan

Thanks, Dan, looking forward to seeing your holder/adapter to compare to what I have.

TJ

Here it is finally, got tied up getting the Ol' Jeep® off of the blocks and back on the road.

Universal #9. With the 'eggs'. The nut is scarfed up since the proper wrench for it disappeared before I got it.

P1060503r.jpg

P1060503r.jpg

Here it is finally, got tied up getting the Ol' Jeep® off of the blocks and back on the road.

Universal #9. With the 'eggs'. The nut is scarfed up since the proper wrench for it disappeared before I got it.

View attachment 86159

Hey, thanks for the picture, Dan. I will have to compare it to mine but I think it is the same. I didn't get any special wrench with mine so how do you take it off? Maybe I don't need to do that?

TJ

40 H is the model, 3300 is the serial number.

Spindle is 9BS. That collet attachment looks to be for Y collets if they go to 1/2". They're easily found on ebay in fractional and number sizes usually about $5 each.

The blue Model 40 on this page was mine. It was an early Model 40 s/n 1220 made in 1942.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/blankbuxton/

Dutch

I aquired an old Index mill that looks very similar to yours. mine has an aftermarket power feed. I have not had a chance to check it out yet, and look forward to doing so soon.

Back