Old Index Mill

tonlin

Registered
Registered
I just "won" an older Index mill at an auction and need help identifying it. May I presume that it predates Wells' acquisition of Index since there is no sign of Wells' name on it? Don't know how to turn it on much less operate it, so any help or advice on manuals, parts, accessories, etc. would be appreciated. Did this mill come with the B&S #9 spindle taper?

BTW, this is my first mill, so I need lots of help! :))

Thanks,
TJ

Index mill-3.JPG Index mill-1.JPG Index mill-9.JPG Index mill-8.JPG Index mill-10.JPG

If there is a serial number, contact Wells Index and they will give you the info you are seeking. Look their contact info up on the net.

I think you nailed it, guys, it sure looks like a model 40, I will look for a serial number.

TJ

Wait until you see what that #9 B&S Universal holder/adapter is worth...
Took me a week of soaking to get mine out. Now I'm running on regular collets.

Can you shoot a picture and get the whole machine in frame?
Looks like an older Model 40, with the feed.

_Dan

I don't have a clue what model it is but that looks like it was a good "win" unless it is so worn that it will have to be totally rebuilt and scraped back in again.

Bob

Index mill-15.JPGIndex mill-16.JPGIndex mill-17.JPG
Wait until you see what that #9 B&S Universal holder/adapter is worth...
Took me a week of soaking to get mine out. Now I'm running on regular collets.

Can you shoot a picture and get the whole machine in frame?
Looks like an older Model 40, with the feed.

_Dan

Hi Dan,

Here are three pictures of my mill, as you asked. We have found the following stamped at the top of the vertical knee way: 40 H 3300
What do you mean regarding the #9 B&S holder? I'm afraid I didn't follow.....

Thanks,
TJ

Index mill-15.JPG Index mill-15.JPG Index mill-16.JPG Index mill-17.JPG

Thanks, Bob, I don't have enough experience yet to tell how worn the machine is, but since it's my first and only mill to-date, I am excited about learning. I have many, many questions but am waiting on a manual that mhooper (forum member) was kind enough to send me before jumping into the machine further. All help and knowledge is greatly appreciated!

TJ

If you break down the Quill raise/lower mechanism, take care, it is VERY easy to break.

mhooper

You've got the one that is pictured on the cover of the manual. Looks like you have it will all the power feeds - that's cool, and
I believe that your idler pulley is the plate mounted one on a slider plate which beats the heck out of the pivoting one that mine has.
Which is a pee-poor design...

It's nice that you scored a manual, cause the one I bought from Wells-Index is worthless IMO. It's suppose to be for the Model 40,
and I guess they had a couple of different variations for the model. Rather general in scope and vague in certain sections. I'm still
looking for a lubrication points page...

Waste of $45 except that I currently needed the part numbers for the spindle bearings, but the drawings look like they were done
by an 8th grader in their first technical drawing class.

As for the holder/adapter - I'll post a picture of mine later today after I get some time in the shop.

_Dan

Back