Old large Starrett bench vise

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
We stripped out our 6" Starrett vise last week in at work . They purchased a Wilton 6" to replace it . Not a bad vise , but surely not up to the tasks the Starrett could handle . 2 options here . #1 - throw t into the dumpster and never look back . #2 - drag it home , machine a 1" Acme thread screw , bore and sleeve the rocker piece and try to save this piece of old iron .

Adding up the time and $$$$$$ to get the vise working once again I could buy 2 new Wiltons most likely , but what fun would that be ? :rolleyes: My vote as always is option # 2 , which is why the garage and basements are packed . :cussing:

The said vise is identical to the one pictured above . The 1 1/8" buttress thread is stripped as well as the cast rocker ( I call it that because I don't know what else to call it ) . The plan would be to bore the rocker , make up and thread a 1" sleeve for a Acme thread , press and pin into the rocker . Turn up a new screw and press and taper pin into the end of the original handle . Doable for sure . The vise itself is laying on the shop floor at the moment waiting on my decision to toss it or haul it out . :)

For me it's a no-brainer to bring it home. What I'd do from there will require some thinking. I couldn't let it go for scrap. I just emptied out a 40 x 60 building with many such things. Twenty years of collecting...

The said vise is identical to the one pictured above . The 1 1/8" buttress thread is stripped as well as the cast rocker ( I call it that because I don't know what else to call it ) . The plan would be to bore the rocker , make up and thread a 1" sleeve for a Acme thread , press and pin into the rocker . Turn up a new screw and press and taper pin into the end of the original handle . Doable for sure . The vise itself is laying on the shop floor at the moment waiting on my decision to toss it or haul it out . :)
The "rocker" is the nut in technical terms. The screw was likely square thread rather than Acme but that could be changed of course. I've sleeved a nut before and used TIG to run a bead around the lip where the two met...seemed to work fine.

Back