Old logging truck with two engines

My wife and I took a day trip to the Oregon coast today. We went through
Astoria and down to seaside. It was packed. About 1/2 of people were wearing masks.

We came back on hwy 26 and stopped at Camp 18. If you are even in the area it's worth stopping. http://www.camp18restaurant.com/

They have a lot of old logging machinery there and one of them caught my eye. It looks to be an old Ford truck with a boom on it. Looks like it had a crane on it from the big ring gear mounted to the frame.

What was special about it was the second engine they put on the front of it. It's a big Cadillac engine with a turbo hydromatic trans hooked to the looks to be the original flat head V8.

After we did our tailgate lunch I went to get a closer look. They attached the Caddy enine/trans to the front of the flat head at the crank. The flat head didn't have any pistons and rods in it, and obviously no heads on it.

It was interested how they did it. The only questions I have is how did they oil the main bearings with no oil pan on it, and how the heck did that stock Ford flat head crank hold up to the huge Caddy engine?
View attachment 333822View attachment 333823View attachment 333824
View attachment 333826s

Ford Tough!

I would wonder if truck engine closest to cab was converted to an air compressor?

All that's missing is a welder generator unit for the ultimate shop truck.

Back