Old MAC rolling tool chest

Looks good. What paint do you use? Is that style gun a lot better than ones that use high-pressure supply from a compressor?

thanks. on this I used Rustoleum oil enamel in sunrise red which I read was very close to the original color. won't use it again. I don't feel like it is very good out of a gun. I usually use Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel which is very good and has better abrasion and impact ratings but you have to buy a gallon and all I needed was a little over a qt. the turbine HVLP is the way to go. no compressor needed, very little overspray as it is low pressure and best of all does not pick up the humidity from the air like a compressor does which is a big deal in florida. mine is a 3 turbine model, now they have 4 and 5 turbine units. not sure what the advantage is as mine works fine but they are supposed to be better.

thanks. on this I used Rustoleum oil enamel in sunrise red which I read was very close to the original color. won't use it again. I don't feel like it is very good out of a gun. I usually use Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel which is very good and has better abrasion and impact ratings but you have to buy a gallon and all I needed was a little over a qt. the turbine HVLP is the way to go. no compressor needed, very little overspray as it is low pressure and best of all does not pick up the humidity from the air like a compressor does which is a big deal in florida. mine is a 3 turbine model, now they have 4 and 5 turbine units. not sure what the advantage is as mine works fine but they are supposed to be better.
did you thin it with mineral spirits, rustoleum is great out of a gun.
i have many guns, conversion hvlp, true turbine hvlp, and old style suction .. high pressure. I have never had a problem with Rustoleum thinned. I have had a problem with rattle cans... they stop spraying and that all folks.

I thinned it with acetone which is what it calls for in the tech sheet on their website.

I remember when that style of box was released! Love Them.
It is a 1974 box..........

I thinned it with acetone which is what it calls for in the tech sheet on their website.
nah... try mineral spirits.

edit: that's funny, they used to recommend mineral spirits. I just went and looked, and they now recommend acetone on the web site for thinning, but further down, they say that mineral spirits is the solvent... I have old can's that I probably need to throw out, and it says thin with mineral spirits... F'd up.

the new can's say mineral spirits or acetone, I would not use acetone as it would evaporate too quickly. I am looking for it to lay out nicely, and I have to believe I would get a little orange peel if I used acetone. I don't think it would ever go on too dry, since it still has it's own mineral spirit solvents and needs to dry .. but the MS as a thinner works very well.

Last edited:
I thought it odd myself. there are absolutely no spraying instructions or thinning instructions on the can. which is why I got online. and yes, I did get a little orange peel and ended up laying it on a little heavy to get it to flow. wasn't too happy but once I got started I just finished it. I ended up with a small run on a bottom corner I will have to sand and touch up. I did use paint thinner to clean up so I'm sure it would work for spraying. there must be a reason they call for acetone as thinner.

Nice!
My first box was the same model, it was donated to me by my uncle. I traded up since then , but i always regretted not keeping it.

nah... try mineral spirits.

edit: that's funny, they used to recommend mineral spirits. I just went and looked, and they now recommend acetone on the web site for thinning, but further down, they say that mineral spirits is the solvent... I have old can's that I probably need to throw out, and it says thin with mineral spirits... F'd up.

the new can's say mineral spirits or acetone, I would not use acetone as it would evaporate too quickly. I am looking for it to lay out nicely, and I have to believe I would get a little orange peel if I used acetone. I don't think it would ever go on too dry, since it still has it's own mineral spirit solvents and needs to dry .. but the MS as a thinner works very well.
BTW this is what I used to thin. sprayer manual says for oil enamel thin until the viscosity cup empties in 25 seconds. (not my photo).
v-for-viscosity-image.jpg

Back