Old MAC rolling tool chest

well I wasn't happy with my paint job. had some bugs in the paint from painting outside and a little orange peel. set up my easy-up in the shop and strung visqueen on the 4 sides and created a paint booth. lightly sanded the whole thing and put 3 more coats on it. the PO had also over sprayed the wheels with his rattle can so I took care of those also. much better.

11-12-21.jpg11-12-21-3.jpg11-12-21-4.jpg

so, in thinking about this... orange peel, acetone.. two reasons you had problems.
shooting outside will lead to orange peel, being too far from the cabinet, and using acetone... the faster cure time will prevent it from laying out and will dry too fast.
also being in Florida, you have high humidity. so acetone exacerbates blushing. you want a retarder (mineral spirits will probably help slow down the curing) to allow the moisture to escape.

BUT.... it came out great the second time... really nice. did you use the rustoleum again?

thanks yes and I used mineral spirits this time, thanks for the tip. I'm self taught and haven't done all that much painting so your comments and input are appreciated. here are some pics of the last project I painted, much larger job but went much smoother. used the same painting system but used SW Industrial Enamel with Kem Kromik primer.

IMG_20190516_162316.jpgIMG_20190610_200617.jpgIMG_20190625_143855.jpg

Nice job on both. Not fun to have to redo, but that's how most of us learn. Mike

nah... try mineral spirits.

edit: that's funny, they used to recommend mineral spirits. I just went and looked, and they now recommend acetone on the web site for thinning, but further down, they say that mineral spirits is the solvent... I have old can's that I probably need to throw out, and it says thin with mineral spirits... F'd up.

the new can's say mineral spirits or acetone, I would not use acetone as it would evaporate too quickly. I am looking for it to lay out nicely, and I have to believe I would get a little orange peel if I used acetone. I don't think it would ever go on too dry, since it still has it's own mineral spirit solvents and needs to dry .. but the MS as a thinner works very well.
I have sprayed rustolium from my Binks #7 thinning with Acetone with good results and a not overly fast flash time.

thanks yes and I used mineral spirits this time, thanks for the tip. I'm self taught and haven't done all that much painting so your comments and input are appreciated. here are some pics of the last project I painted, much larger job but went much smoother. used the same painting system but used SW Industrial Enamel with Kem Kromik primer.

View attachment 385212View attachment 385213View attachment 385214
That’s an awesome band saw and nice paint! What did you thin that with? I used the same paint with a similar color on my walker Turner sensitive drill press. I just use a brush because I couldn’t find thinning information.

Attachments

• EA78B4FD-8EC4-4EC9-AA40-2CFF499880FC.jpeg
    EA78B4FD-8EC4-4EC9-AA40-2CFF499880FC.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 8
so these drawer guides have 3" long spring clips on each end which keeps you from pulling the drawers out onto the floor. I have 3 missing and 1 broken. thinking about making a few. I'm guessing they could be made out of mild steel and then heated and tempered in oil? any idea which part of the forum I should ask this question in? looked at the list of forums and nothing seemed really pertinent to this question.

PXL_20210928_191500586.jpgPXL_20211113_164548672.jpgPXL_20211113_164644270.jpg

Back