Old Machine Shop Photos You Might Like

The old machine shop pics are always enjoyable. Thanks posting.

I'd be in hog heaven amongst all those old machines. :drool: My favorite is this one though..

It has that "mad scientist" look about it. BTW - Just what is that funky looking ball thing sitting on the gear box?

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
"Just what is that funky looking ball thing sitting on the gear box?"

If I was going to guess (having worked on similar old machines very long ago) that is the motor :yikes:. Could be an old Westinghouse semi open frame or maybe even an old DC job.

Graham

Love the one of the two guys wearing neckties while running the lathe. I wonder how many engineers were lost back then in machinery accidents?

Tom

That's probably a QC guy. Notice his calipers.....no dial, no digital. Anyone still use verniers? (Besides me)

"Just what is that funky looking ball thing sitting on the gear box?"

If I was going to guess (having worked on similar old machines very long ago) that is the motor :yikes:. Could be an old Westinghouse semi open frame or maybe even an old DC job.

Graham

Motor makes sense. That's got to be the coolest industrial electric motor I've seen and now I really, really want one. Yep, it's a sickness. :biggrin:

-Ron

Anyone still use verniers? (Besides me)

Me, too. I use digital calipers and mics around mill and lathe, where there's nice rubber matting for them to bounce on. Over at the workbench, I have the vernier caliper and mic for more rough-n-tumble use. I'm more likely to take them where I'm nearly certain to drop everything on concrete directly. . .

That's probably a QC guy. Notice his calipers.....no dial, no digital. Anyone still use verniers? (Besides me)

Yep, I still have a pair of 24" and 40" vernier calipers that come out of the box once a while...

I love these images. As a young guy (relatively speaking, of course), these are very inspirational. Keep 'em coming!

- Matt

Back