Old Membership Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
I gave money a few years back. Now if I want to make a one time payment I have to pay more than someone who does it automatically. I would want to choose how much I give, not the other way around. I take offense when someone tries to dictate how much I should contribute, where is the 5 or 10 dollar option. In terms of concerns, I should keep my mouth shut, don't want to get banned.

RESPONSE:

This is a work in progress, but there are now new membership upgrades.

NONE of them are recurring.
They begin at only $10.
Value will be added to each category, and they are tax-deductible.

Donating Member 1 year $10
Premium Member 1 year $25
Sustaining Member 1 year $50
Commercial Member 1 year $100
Site Sponsor 1 year $200

1527703121489-png.268649

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion the minimum amount of $25 is a bit too high , I bet you'll get many more contributions from regular members if the minimum was reduced to $10 -$15 dollars, I must clarify that I do not mean the $25 minimum is too high for what we get out of this site,on the contrary, no dollar value can be put on the knowledge that's freely shared here, what I'm saying is ,a more affordable minimum contribution attracts more users from casual lurkers to average newbies who will gladly pay the lower minimum year after year after year.

Many of your regulars are not from the US, for example for Canadians that minimum is not $25,it is in fact close to $30 Canadian dollars.
Another example:Sawmill kreek's annual membership is only $6 per year but they have over 112,000 members many of them are paid members,( I'm thinking one of the reason for such high amount of paid membership is the $6 fee per year),even if 1/3rd of them were paying members that would mean over 37,000 times $6.

I'm sorry for rocking the boat here Nelson but you asked , and I meant no disrespect to you or anyone here, I just have this inability to sugarcoat what I need to say so it would sound better.

RESPONSE:

They begin at only $10.

Site Sponsor 1 year $200

1527703121489-png.268649

Times have changed,members come and go but I still think we should try to have an annual fundraising campaign.members can donate without any change in their membership status, the annual donation drive could have a target/goal which is the amount that the site still needs in order to run for the year even after collecting all the premium member contributions.this targeted amount can change yearly depending on how much is already collected from the premium members.

The minimum donation of $5-$10 can not be that hard for most active members to pay,(even though Neson mentioned not many paid even that $5 donation )but , if there's no obligations (recurring contribution),, a run of the mill fundraising to save the site should be incentive needed.

Someone will of course monitor the amount collected and if it's passed the goal, it will be deducted from the next year's goal.
Maybe I'm oversimplifying this but if there's no obligation or commitment to pay annually and if the amount to donate is low enough ,then an old fashioned fundraising could be the alternative to paid membership.

RESPONSE:

They begin at only $10.

Site Sponsor 1 year $200

1527703121489-png.268649

You have a great site here Nelson, I get lots of good information and hope I contribute a little back.
I never sign up for recurring charges, never know what that months bills are going to be, but I've considered the one time charge. Problem is $30 US with the exchange rate and the credit card pimp fee would jump the charge to slighly over $40 CDN. Seems a little steep this month.

Greg

I'm a new guy here, but for what its worth, I've had enough hard times that I don't do anything in reoccurring or automatic payments - even for regular, monthly expenses like mortgage, phone and cable bills.

In addition to memberships, you might want to consider something like a tip-jar for one time contributions. I think that might be an effective way to get some support form non-regular visitors who might want to express gratitude for help on a single issue.

I suggest keeping the existing supporter levels but additionally giving forum members a wider range of donation options, possibly from $5 in $5 increments and simply an acknowledgement of their "Support Donor" status in the current year under their avatar and name, rather than thinking you have to "Sell Them Something"

I also suggest not punishing non-renewing members, they're often non-renewing because they can't afford to, no better way to put them off than punitive pricing.

For those concerned with setting up an automatic annual payment, those paying by Paypal can easily terminate that auto-payment at any time. Set up a reminder for a week before and if it is an inopportune time, terminate and reinstate the auto-payment at a later time.

That's a very good argument for not charging extra from anyone not opting for Auto-Renewal and saving them the annoyance of that rigmarole.

RESPONSE:

They begin at only $10.

Site Sponsor 1 year $200

1527703121489-png.268649

They begin at only $10.

Site Sponsor 1 year $200

1527703121489.png

Ok guys you asked for it so lets see if this is better. I certainly like the no auto renewal part as well.

Thanks Nelson,

David

Since the issues raised by a various posters have now been addressed, perhaps we can have better than being less than 1% participation from the active members thus far. I am closing this thread to keep it on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back