Old mini mill spindle motor question. Looking for current answers.

mrproduxn

Registered
Registered
I bought a new cnc mill for the garage last year to shift my workload from, and save wear and tear on, my Central Machinery 110V mini mill. I still used the mini occasionally until the motor cooked. It has the usual ZYT 350W 4/5 hp motor. I want to resurrect the mini so that my son can make some of my old simpler products as my cnc is dedicated to my primary product line. Restoring the mini with an exact replacement motor is under consideration as well as absolutely adding the belt drive. I have been hopelessly searching for a different 1-2 hp motor to use instead. I have become cross-eyed looking at electric motors on line. I don't really want to go the treadmill motor route. My questions are:
What is the motor frame/type ? Seems to be in the 56 face mount family.
Has anyone found a direct bolt on replacement of larger hp ? For nearly $300 there should be something better available. Most of my tooling is carbide.
Would brushless be the best motor choice ? Why or why not.
Would a motor with a capacitor be ok for this application ?
Any help would be appreciated.

The speed of a capacitor (induction) motor is generally difficult to control. Brush type AC motors can be controlled by "router" speed controllers. Three phase AC motors (aka BLDC) can be used with a VFD. DC motors (including treadmill motors) are relatively easy to speed control, either with a treadmill controller or with other DC motor speed controls available from various sources. There's a pretty complete discussion of this topic at: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ontrollers-for-110v-motors.83676/#post-737282

I have an HF mini-mill. Doesn't look like the motor frame/face is any kind of standard, but I'm no expert. I did buy the LMS belt conversion a bunch of years ago, and LOVE it!

The speed of a capacitor (induction) motor is generally difficult to control. Brush type AC motors can be controlled by "router" speed controllers. Three phase AC motors (aka BLDC) can be used with a VFD. DC motors (including treadmill motors) are relatively easy to speed control, either with a treadmill controller or with other DC motor speed controls available from various sources. There's a pretty complete discussion of this topic at: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ontrollers-for-110v-motors.83676/#post-737282

I have an HF mini-mill. Doesn't look like the motor frame/face is any kind of standard, but I'm no expert. I did buy the LMS belt conversion a bunch of years ago, and LOVE it!

Unfortunately LMS, the only stateside supplier of the motor and the belt kit, is closed due to the stay at home order in California. I can't buy the motor until they open. That is why I am trying to find an alternative to that particular motor. I have spent many hours searching to no avail. I have no lathe. If I did I would already be removing a motor from a treadmill to measure up for pulleys. Thanks for the info.

Yes with less hp at nearly the same price. Now the HFT mini is on sale for $551 delivered to my house including tax and shipping. The motor alone is nearly $300 to buy and ship. Now debating on (1) just buy a complete new one and add the $160 belt drive or (2) add a set of DRO's $175 to (1) with the $160 belt drive or (3) buy the $2400 Grizzly G0836 with a full 1 hp with power feed and DRO (GRIZZLY has $25 freight good until 4/30/20) or (4) spend a little more on a Grizzly with 220 power and tapping capability which my CNC Mill does not have.
When I built my garage/shop I ran a new power line and meter so I have room to add another 220 line. Think I already have 4 220 lines in use.
Decisions decisions.

From LMS website if you call them they may can get the part to you.

Well if you can justify the cost bigger is always better.

Well if you can justify the cost bigger is always better.
Well my reply to that is, very fortunately, every piece of equipment I have purchased has more than paid for itself with the products I have made and sold. I started with a HFT floor drill press with a cheap add on x/y table. Made enough on that fairly quick to buy the mini mill. Made enough on the mini mill, in the first 9 months, to buy a cnc mill, and now I made enough with the cnc, in the last 8 months, to spend 25% of my profit to upgrade to a better manual mill. I figure buying a better manual mill will allow me to shift some of my primary product line to the manual thus opening up more free time to develop some planned prototypes on the cnc. I am looking long term. I am retiring as quick as I can push the paperwork through. Originally I was rebooting the mini mill so my son can take over one of my product lines. After giving it more thought he can do that as a part time gig. He is an electrician in training. Then I can use the manual, if it has power feed and the DRO, for my current products as needed. I think I just talked myself into spending the modest $2400 for a good Grizzly. I like the HFT mini but it does have limitations not including the expensive hard to find motor. I had seriously considered buying the new HFT mini for $500, which is a great deal for a hobbyist, but would get worn out in my semi-production environment. I have had over 800 sales of one product in the past year. That is just night and weekend work while maintaining a day job. My biggest regret is buying a budget cnc mill instead of spending double for a mini Haas. As you can tell I do a little more than your average hobby-machinist. I think I have around 8 continuous ebay ads as well as selling on various truck forums. I just told my wife I have 4 products in production as well as another prototype in pre-machining and a couple of in-demand shelved products I am turning over to my son. I count my blessings every day. I am really amazed that the coronavirus has not hurt, but has actually improved, sales. I guess more people have time to shop online now. So I guess I need to decide which Grizzly has the most bang for the buck under $2500.

UPDATE: I have narrowed my search to these choices. Looking at 2 different Precision Matthews. The model 25MV adding power x feed or the model 727M adding power x feed. Was going to add the DRO but that can be done later for around the same cost or less. Think power feed is more appropriate for the moment. The HFT mini wore me out with all the hand cranking. Also like the 0.100" dial rotations on PM where the HFT mini is 0.0625" dial rotations.. Also looking at Grizzly G0754. From what I can tell the PM makes quality equipment. The 3 year warranty is a big plus on PM. The Grizzly is a good deal (with only $25 shipping good until 4/30). PM has much cleaner castings and tons of space to eventually add cnc ball screws. Also looking at repairing the existing HFT mini mill motor vs replacing the motor. That mini is good for a lot of smaller tasks. Still have the larger cnc masters mill for big precision work. Gonna get crowded in my garage. I guess a shed is in the near future (for lawn tractor, pressure washer, push mower, gas grill, generator, bikes, beach gear, garden tools, gas cans, etc.).

Yes with less hp at nearly the same price. Now the HFT mini is on sale for $551 delivered to my house including tax and shipping. The motor alone is nearly $300 to buy and ship. Now debating on (1) just buy a complete new one and add the $160 belt drive or (2) add a set of DRO's $175 to (1) with the $160 belt drive or (3) buy the $2400 Grizzly G0836 with a full 1 hp with power feed and DRO (GRIZZLY has $25 freight good until 4/30/20) or (4) spend a little more on a Grizzly with 220 power and tapping capability which my CNC Mill does not have.
When I built my garage/shop I ran a new power line and meter so I have room to add another 220 line. Think I already have 4 220 lines in use.
Decisions decisions.

For that price you could by a new one, sell the old one on Craigslist with bad motor for 250-300 and have a new one for less than the motor

otherwise f the machine makes you money you could justify a step up in machine and still craigslist the old one

Back