Old school fat tire bike.

Man I wish I still had my paper boy bike. Drum brakes front and rear with custom heavy duty spokes. steel rear rack to hold the bags and a big basket in the front for papers to be thrown. One tough bike.

Kids don't know anything about bike rides. We rode our bikes for miles to go fishing or play baseball . Even just to ride and show off to the girls. Riding wheelies, standing on the seat , doing jumps. We rode to school till the weather got to cold . When I was a kid I built all kinds of weird bike combinations. Doubles triples , trailers , head rests even unicycles . Never were we caught in house if we weren't sick.
The fat tire bikes really are the most comfortable kind. I owned one an amf if I remember right. And a three speed I loved for the woods to go fishing. Nice build my wife's schwins still in the shed . Old blue.

Never did own a Schwinn. My first bike was a used stripped down 3sp that was waaaay to big. It was stuck in hi gear and I didn't know nuthin'. It was a bike, it was new to me and even though I couldn't sit on the seat and pedal at the same time, I loved it! It took a while to get going but was so high geared there was nobody who could keep up. It was a fixie before there was a fixie :) I think it got left behind when we moved when I was 11. Along with the old cast iron Farmall riding tractor I got when I was 4. Don't miss the bike, but I do miss the Farmall. Truly relics of a bygone era, when none of us kids would be caught dead inside if there was daylight.

I sure do remember those from childhood. Even as kids we knew that Schwinn was a premium bike. I lived on a bicycle when I was a kid.

That's a neat project, and looks very nice!

My second job, back in the 60s, was at my uncle’s bike shop. $1 per hour, IIRC. Schwinn and Raleigh, only. I’d come in after school, and assemble whatever had been sold off the floor. Did “tuneups,” fixed flats. (Yes, we patched the tubes. A few years later, it got to where it was cheaper to replace them than patch them.) Man, was I happy when he bought the racks! No more kneeling on the cardboard floor covers for hours!

Well I scored another work stand and worked on the fenders a little. I realized the rear fender wasn't going to fit, so I searched eBay for one and found a full set instead, the front was pretty rusty underneath and had a big dent in it that now I don't have to fix. Plus the new ones have a cool little kick out on them at the bottom rear. They are not on yet as I have to make a spacer for one.
But I did find a really nice looking seat for it.

I found a great deal on this park work stand, looks like it was barely used.
20180311_210927.jpg20180311_204440.jpg
Then I found a seat i like much better! Springs front and rear.
20180322_130707.jpg
And a nice diamond stitch pattern. Cool rail around the back side too. The seat has full suspension under the foam as well as the cool looking chrome springs. It's getting the look I am after.
20180322_130723.jpg
Hopefully next pics will show the fenders on.

He shoots he scores!! Nice stand! Wouldn't work for me as it doesn't work with a recumbent trike. But when I had my mtbike I wanted one so bad. Never see them for sale even though I know there has to be a bunch around. Park makes great stuff IMHO.

Nice seat too. Thanks for the update.

C-bag, I know what you mean, I hardly ever see them. I thought I got lucky on the first one and it's a nice work stand, then to find a park stand! For $70 bucks too! I always have more than one bike in the works and this will help with maintenance a service on the bikes I ride let alone the ones I sell. The one in this thread is not for sale, it's for me.

Last edited:
Hey, Greg, what is up with machinists who love bicycles and also Millrite mills. I have one, you have one, and this guy has one, though he has now switched to a Bridgeport head on it. He does some gorgeous work in the "drillium" style. I still have have a factory drillium bike from the 1970's. Here is what Jon Williams does:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/sets/ Click on each picture for more pictures.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/collections 17 more collections.
Many hundreds of photos total.
I had a very old set of very high flange track hubs, aluminum flanges threaded onto a chromed steel center section. They were marked in red paint with the name "Schwinn", though I believe they were made by Campagnolo. Jon sold them for me for $400, they were off of a rare old track bike, and the current owner badly wanted the original hubs.
Jon's photography is also excellent.

Very cool pics Bob. Thats all high end stuff. Im a little more old school, kinda reliving my childhood in a way. I have always enjoyed tinkering with bike's, it's what got me started in mechanics and everything else. Bicycles are for me an affordable hobby. And I can make a few bucks on them too. Plus I still enjoy riding them! Oh, and I'm looking for a Bridgeport head for my powermatic/millright as well. Lol.

Back