Old School Machine Shop, 1885, Still Working!

I'd spend the rest of my life getting them running and using every machine there. Watched this a few days ago on YouTube. I learned on some of those machines. During my apprenticeship I worked two years with old and newer machines like these. Overhead VBM and hydraulic open sided planer 12' of travel. YUPP old and newer.

I've been in a few old machine shops just like that one in my early days. Dad used to carry us boys, me and my brother with him to his work. We were only about 4 maybe 5 years old then. We couldn't walk by a machine without grabbing a greasy handle and wipe our hands on our clothes. By the time we got home and mom saw how dirty we were, hell broke loose in the house over us getting dirty. Hey, we knew what hollow spindle lathes were, hob mills, of course turret lathes were at a early age. We could almost identify every piece of oilfield equipment was before we started school, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
....but those (line shaft driven) ceiling fans and lights in the office might send me into a seizure.
I'd have to stay in the shop.

-brino

Last edited:
Ken you had a fun childhood. And a cool Dad too :D
Mark
ps what was that last big lathe they showed? Leblond? L&S?

Last edited:
Ken you had a fun childhood. And a cool Dad too :D
Mark
ps what was that last big lathe they showed? Leblond? L&S?
That looks like a Monarch to the left, Model A maybe. The one to the right, I'm not sure. There were over 200 lathe manufactures in the early 1900's that made cone head lathes. It's really old!

Back