Old Scraping Class and Misc. Info

Richard King

Bronze
Former Member
Hi all...

I will be teaching a scraping class here in MN this weekend and next week July 21 - 27 in Minnetonka inside a former students garage. If any locals wants to come and watch a few hours, your invited.
Shoot me a quick note and I'll send you the address. The host is a amateur photographer and will post some pictures after the class. We will be teaching hand and power scraping and basic alignment and machine scraping. Next week we will be scraping some small SB lathes and a Chinese built Mill.

Re: Teaching a Scraping Class this weekend and next week here in MN

Hi Richard,

That's a very nice offer. Wish I was closer, I would enjoy seeing how that is done!

David

Hi Richard,

That's a very nice offer. Wish I was closer, I would enjoy seeing how that is done!

David

I taught a Dallas Class last year in a guys home shop. It was a bear-cat as it was during that long heatwave you had..60+ days of over 100. I also taught one for Campat Machine in Plano a couple of weeks later so there service techs could re-glue Turcite and scrape it on the CNC machines they sell and service. Thank goodness they invented AC back when, ha ha. Pass the word around Texas and Help organize a class sometime. If you host the class you get the training for free.

I wish I could attend that class, but it would be a 2000 mile trip for me. I am installing a new set of ways on my Southbend heavy 10 lathe and I may be scraping my saddle to fit the new ways and I don't have a clue about what I am doing. I do understand how to do the dye-chem part to find the high and low spots but to actually make a slide fit to the ways of my lathe maybe a bit beyond my scope of knowledge. Does anyone on this forum have any experience in this type of situation? I would love to hear any comments. Thanks, Randy

I wish I could attend that class, but it would be a 2000 mile trip for me. I am installing a new set of ways on my Southbend heavy 10 lathe and I may be scraping my saddle to fit the new ways and I don't have a clue about what I am doing. I do understand how to do the dye-chem part to find the high and low spots but to actually make a slide fit to the ways of my lathe maybe a bit beyond my scope of knowledge. Does anyone on this forum have any experience in this type of situation? I would love to hear any comments. Thanks, Randy

Randy - I suggest sending the OP of this thread a PM, I believe he is the person you seek!

Randy - I suggest sending the OP of this thread a PM, I believe he is the person you seek!
I have some ideas for you, but tonight I am tired after the first day of the class, so won't go into great detail now.. But a couple of things you need to do. Relieve the centers of the saddle ways that match the bed. I would make the middle 1/3 low appox. 0005" to .001". We do this so the saddle does not rock. I normally pre-qualify those saddle ways using a cast iron straight-edge before match fitting it to the bed so I know it won't rock, I am assuming you do not have a straight-edge. So You relieve the middle and keep bluing it up until the blue does not hit the middle. Norally when you are scraping, you are removing .0002" per scrape, so you will have to calculate 2 to 5 scrapes to do this. This is why I recommend you measure the depth of how deep your scrape marks are with a surface guage and .0001" indicator. Another thing you should do while scraping the saddle is to use a mag base and mount it on the bed and use a .0005" indicator and indicate the bottom of the saddle where the apron bolts on. It should be parallel to the bed ways as you slide the saddle side ways. This way the drive shafts will not bind up if the saddle is before you scrape it.sitting cock-eyed to the bed. I would also take a soft blow hammer and hit on the 4 corners and listen to see if the saddle is sitting firmly on the bed. (OH be sure you have the bed aligned before you scrape.) But listen to the sound, if it is open it will have a clanging / hollow sound and if it fits tight it will have a solid sound. I will write more later...
Check those things now... :) You can also PM me if the other guy is to busy, as I have over 40 years experience rebuilding lathes and all sorts of machine tools for my profession.
Rich

Rich, I have a lot of respect for the art. It amazes me that you speak of moving tenths across a large surface with consistency. I understand the 3 piece method pf creating straightedges, and the necessity of good straightedges for this type of work. I believe I could probably pull off a flat surface, but the tricks of angular scraping of vee ways, and the establishing of perpendicular relationships between ways, like on milling machines, elude me.

I really hope to attend a class at some point. I don't have a large shop, nor do I know that there are many that would/could attend if I hosted a class, but I would certainly consider it.

Oppps.....I think I posted this on wrong spot. The above was from Tony Wells

-------------------- My reply to Tony..

I say I can teach anyone as long as they are mechanically inclined and your as heck are..ha ha.
Many are afraid to try it on their own. But as students have told me; they read the Connelly Book and never quite understood it, but having a skilled on-looker to guide them it made sense. As I told the 8 men who are attending my class now, it's like bulding a house if you start out with a solid and level foundation you build everything up plumb you will do fine. We do leave part out of square on purpose sometimes because of sag and tool pressures when you using the machine. But I cover that in the class. As in many things "Practice Makes Perfect" and there is a learning curve one has to go through. I have had several students rebuild small lathes and mills after the class. I hate to blow my own horn, but 40+ years of doing, I have learned many tricks of the trade I pass on to the students.
The best way to get out the word on an up coming class is to post a thread on here and I can post one on a couple of other sites, Ebay, Craig's List and word of mouth and see who is willing to attend and then send a down payment. Many say they want to come, but when you ask them for a deposit to hold their spot the interest fades.. ha ha.
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich, thanks for the great information! I will get my ways aligned first and do the procedures that you outlined, that should get me started in the right direction. I will keep you posted on my progress. I will not be starting for a couple of weeks as I have a vacation to get out of the way but I will be working on it as soon as I return. Hope you have a great class, I am envious not being able to take the class, but where I live it is 75 degrees F. and breezy. Maybe we can scrape up (pardon the pun) enough guys here on the west coast to get a class out here! I will be contacting you again, undoubtedly. Thanks again Rich.

The class is finished and it was a good group of guys. Jeff from Missouri shared with the group an amazing product, that I wanted to tell everyone about. I had a old Acme screw machine slide that was super rusty that I figured that someone could clean it up and scrape it for a project in the class. Jeff asked if I had ever use "Evap-o-rust"... I had never heard of it. He bought a gallon at an auto parts store poured it in a bucket and set the slide it the bucket. No smell...no harsh fumes...and within a couple of hours the rust had dissolved completely off the slide. It was amazing. No more acid based rust removers for me. Check it out! Rich
PS> Will write more about the class in a couple of days.

It's pretty popular with the guys here, Rich. I've never tried it, but I plan to on a project I am eyeballing. I'll have to find a source around here, but I'm sure I will.

Bill Gruby has soaked a lathe in it yesterday I think....came out almost like new.

Back