Old single phase motor hookup?

I think an 8-32 would be just as strong- the 8-36 might be less likely to vibrate loose which may be why they chose it
-M

The weakest part of a screw is in the threads, the coarser the thread the smaller the minor dia, so the 8-36 is stronger than an 8-32. The finer thread WILL also help to not vibrate out in use.

Any 4 inch long 8-36 screw is proving to be difficult to find, never mind a SHCS. I've checked about 8 different places now.
Anyone know where I could find these mythical beasts? 8-36 rod seems to be unavailable as well.

Of course there is always the option to make one, Start with a 5" 8-32 screw and cut it to length and then thread the end to 8-36.

One other option that I have used in the past is to take a 1 inch or longer 8-36 screw and cut the head off and drill a hole in the end about 3/16 deep. then take a long #8 scrw and cut it to length with a pin machined on the end for a push fit into the hole. Silver braze the 2 parts together and you have a 4 inch long *-36 screw. Not as strong and a real one but may work fine.

A 4" 8-32 SHCS with loctite is sounding simpler and might be stronger than either solution above. (At least after thinking about how well I'd execute the operations.) Since the only true constraint is the size, #8 and 4" long, if I have to replace the existing screws, think I'd go with 8-32's. Otherwise I'd have to go with a custom screw. This motor isn't worth having a custom screw made. Probably good enough to simply use some Grade 8 8-32 threaded rod and some nuts.

Back