Old Starrett tools, made in Great Britain?

dzarren

Registered
Registered
I've been recently been on the hunt to get my little shop going, and I've been starting a little starrett collection.

I had been looking for a set of Jenny Calipers for a while, and was thinking of making a a set for myself, but found a tiny union brand one that i paid way too much for. The same day i found a Starrett one, but at the time i did not now how old it was, or that it was old at all, because the condition was perfect. Judging from the infor ive obtained online, looking at the logo, it seems like this set is from somewhere in between 1895 and 1896. I say this since apparently the stamping name was changed in 1896, and this has the old stamp, but has a 1895 date on it. But please enlighten me if this is not the case?
Im quite mad at myself for how i treated this set of calipers, because when I was using evaporust to remove some slight surface rust, i accidentally let some parts sit above the liquid line, and this etched a deep groove into the set of calipers, right across the stamped name. Pretty bummed at that, but its permanent. The liquid/air boundary of evaporust is incredibly reactive, so please do watch out.

And finally to the main part of this post, i was under the impression that asides from the new stuff made in china, all the starrett stuff was made in the states since forever.
I have this old-ish auto center punch, but it says made in Great Britain. I was wondering if anyone knew when this was from, I have never seen a starrett tool branded Great Britain.

I also have a rotation counter that has the old logo, without the "THE" but it has a 1905 patent date, so it must be from after that, but supposedly the logo changed in 1896? So im not sure about the age of this either, if you guys had any clue.

Thanks for reading!

star 1.jpg

star 2.jpg

star 3.jpg

star 4.jpg

star 5.jpg

Don't beat yourself up over the line. I don't believe that it was caused by the Evaporust. It is far too crisp and the line doesn't continue on to the pivot.

I have a few of the Starrett tools that were made in the UK. I think they had a plant there in the 1960's or thereabouts, I looked it up once but can't remember the exact dates. I don't know if you find them much in other parts of the country, but here on the West Coast I think they were not uncommon. Much like Moore & Wright stuff which turns up more often than Starrett or B&S here.

-frank

Edit: added photo
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, I was off by two years! Opened in 1958 in Jedburgh, Scotland and still very much alive today.

-frank

image.png

Back