Old, Unique or New

And this is a Lufkin V80 dial test indicator. I bought one of these new when I started college and used it up over the years. It has .0005" graduations a range of .08" and a 1.50" stylus for reaching into tight spaces. Fortunately I got lucky and was able to replace my old one with this NOS one off eBay.

016_1.JPG

I have two of these that read in 0.0001 graduations with a total travel of 0.032". I also have another that's a Compac, who made these for Lufkin. The Lufkins are the bottom two.

P9021770Large.jpg

Another Lufkin indicator is this back plunger. It also has an attachment that screws into the body and allows it to be used as a test indicator. I don't know who made this for Lufkin.

P6184436Large.jpg

016_1.JPG

P9021770Large.jpg

P6184436Large.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Tom. This one is Oslund Tool & Die. Is a universal gage. The curved part has graduations 0-10, thats 10 thousandths. The needle circles the curved part 360 degrees. The plunger is in the nose. Also has a dovetail attachment point. Made in Hartford Ct.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Bill, I have an Oslund tucked away with a bunch of other old tools in a very old Gerstner tool box. It's buried behind a bunch of other stuff, so it's hard to get to.

Bill, that Oslund is a cool indicator. Don't believe I've ever seen one quite like it.

Tony;

They are fairly rare but are seen from time to time. Oslund Tool & Die went out of business in mid 1942.

Harvey;

If you have one hang onto it. The last one I saw on ebay was two years ago and it topped out at $650.

"Billy G" :))

Real cool stuff. And speaking of old (me) , have you ever seen or used a
set of toolmaker's buttons. I actually used them about 1957. They were made by Brown & Sharpe and one of the most exasperating things I have ever done in a shop.
Ron

set of toolmaker's buttons. I actually used them about 1957. They were made by Brown & Sharpe and one of the most exasperating things I have ever done in a shop.
Ron

I have a set, and I'm familiar with how they work, and I hope I never need to use them.

Harvey;
If you have one hang onto it. The last one I saw on ebay was two years ago and it topped out at $650.
"Billy G" :))

I have a problem parting with tools, so that's not too likely to happen.

Do ya mean these Ron? :lmao: These are B&S.

"Billy G" :whistle:

gbbb (750 x 563).jpg

I can do this all day. :lmao: How about a "Wiggler Center Finder" mounted in a gimble.

"Billy G" :whistle:

wig (700 x 525).jpg

Ron

If you had trouble with toolmaker's buttons, tooling balls would push you right over the edge. They serve the same purpose, except in three dimensions and are invaluable for locating features on angular or spherical surfaces.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of my favorite tools, a Lufkin Master Planer Gage, 901A and the same tool made by Pratt and Whitney. They are identical, except for the slide surface. The Lufkin (on the right in both photos) has a "V" slide where the P&W has a "T" slide. Both have a micro adjuster and they are 1" wide.

PC102150Large.jpg

PC102152Large.jpg

PC102150Large.jpg

PC102152Large.jpg

Back