Old, Unique or New

EEEEyup, that's a keeper Brian. Your Horology Tools are also welcome.

"Billy G"

Did someone say Tachs? :lmao: 2 Biddles and a Hasler Bern. All complete and in working condition. Big one in the center rear will measure 50K RPM

"Billy G" :))

ats (750 x 563).jpg

Bore gage that will measure from .730-.890. Original use was for internal grooves. Trigger on bottom retracts fingers to place them in groove.

DSCF1694.jpg

Gage that checks concenticity betweem a .625" bore and 1.25" bore. Smaller stem is inserted in 5/8" bore and fluted barrel is turned, ball bearing rides in larger bore and
moves indicator needle to show concentricity.

DSCF1695.jpg

DSCF1694.jpg

DSCF1695.jpg

A trio of micrometer style height gages. A 0 to 2" Greist in front, a 0 to 4" H-B Tools in the middle and a 0 to 6"/2" to 8" Fowler in the back.

PC102167Large.jpg

PC102167Large.jpg

I never expected all these tools. This is awesome. Thanks a million all of you. Harvey, I have a trainee comming over to learn Lathe basics. We will get back to this challenge a little later.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Do ya mean these Ron? :lmao: These are B&S.

"Billy G" :whistle:
Yes Billy those are the ones. Have you ever used them. They can make you old before your time.
I worked as a toolmaker in a low budget shop. We didn,t have a jig borer let alone a jig grinder. Finishing holes in die work went like this. We would locate the holes the old way with a scriber and center punch. then after heat treat and surface grinding we would press a brass plug into the holes, drill and tap the the plugs to take the buttons. After the buttons were located. (Much later) the die plate was mounted to a lathe face plate where the buttons would be centered by an indicator. Next drill out the plugs and grind the holes with a tool post grinder. Later when I went to work in the tool room of a fortune 500 company where they had all the good stuff like jig borers and jig grinders I would listen to the guys complain about the machines. I would just chuckle.
Ron

Used them a few times in the early years. They are something you either like or dislike. No gray area.

"Billy G" :))

A new day and more tools. This time old. #1 is a 3 point bore gage for 2.6-7 inched. #2 two last word indicators. #3 Protractor and depth gages circa 1930. #4 two B&S Caplipers also 1930 range. OOps, how did that last one get in there. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle:

bnm 001 (750 x 563).jpg bnm 002 (750 x 563).jpg bnm 003 (750 x 563).jpg bnm 004 (750 x 563).jpg 382148_476460759071121_1878612236_n.jpg

Here are a few of the lesser used tools, but still invaluable when you need them.

This is a Titan toolmaker's micropscope, for when it absolutely needs to be on center. It superimposes a graduated scale on the workpiece and will read directly on the X and Y axis to .0005" and you can interpolate even closer since it is optical.

View attachment 158059

View attachment 158061

This is a Mitutoyo Dial Bore Gauge that reads bore diameters directly to .0001". I bought it for a job and haven't used it since. :17428:

View attachment 158063

These are my sine bars. The big one is a Brown & Sharpe 5" and the little guy is a no-name 2.5". I probably use the little one the most because it will fit in a vise.

View attachment 158065

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very interesting tools so far. This is a set of Brown and Sharpe tapered hole parallels. You pick the correct pair, then use a caliper or mike to measure the hole.

PB132116Large.jpg

PB132116Large.jpg

Back