Old Vise Jaws

domperna52

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a old bench vise in decent condition but it was missing one of the jaws. I can't find any brand or model info on it anywhere. The remaining jaw measures 5.1" wide (probably a nominal 5"), .47" thick (nominal 1/2") .86" high (nominal 7/8"). The holes are .28" diameter on 3 7/16" centers. I've searched the web and can't seem to find anything to match the original jaw or be close enough to fit. Any information on where I might be able to find some replacements would be greatly appreciated. My last resort would be to get some steel (or aluminum for soft jaws) and mill a replacement set. Thanks.

If you cannot easily find a new jaw or two for your vise, just make one out of mild steel and use it. They work just fine. I have been using mild steel jaws on my Bridgeport brand vise for many years now, and they still look and work like the day I made them. They hold the work well, and are less destructive should you accidentally run into them with a tool.

I frequent another forum called Garage Journal. There are some vise enthusiasts over there. Here is a link to one such thread which may be helpful in identifying what you have. You might have to join to see the pictures, not sure.

There is guy on the GJ site named K. M. Scott who manufactures replacement vise jaws. I bought a set from him for my Prentiss vice and they are amazing.
http://www.benchvisejaws.com/

Thanks for the quick replies. I root around on the sites suggested to see what I can find. If nothing turns up, I'l go ahead and mill a set.
Thanks again.

If it where me I would just make 3 sets 1 mild steel 1 aluminum and one Delrin

Back