Older Books Vs Modern End Mills

BillWood

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I get the impression that modern end mills are very different things from the ones I read about in older books and magazines, where slot mills and end mills are two very different beasts. I think I've seen a post or a thread about this somewhere but cannot find it.

My end mills are an el cheapo set but the teeth go all the way across the base - just like the slot cutters.

A friend has told me that he uses his end mills just like slot cutters without any problems.

Any good books or web pages or existing threads I can go to to learn more ?

Will do some googling but if there is a well known good definitive site/ thread / book then that would save me sorting through the zillions of google hits that I will find.

Bill

Do you mean a slot drill? Slot cutters are meant for cutting T-slots or in some cases woodruff key seats.

Center cutting endmills will work as slot drills, although honestly I'd rather use a drill. I can sharpen a drill by hand, gotta use the surface grinder to sharpen the end of a endmill.

Do you mean a slot drill? Slot cutters are meant for cutting T-slots or in some cases woodruff key seats.

Center cutting endmills will work as slot drills, although honestly I'd rather use a drill. I can sharpen a drill by hand, gotta use the surface grinder to sharpen the end of a endmill.

Yes - got the words mixed up - I meant a slot drill.

Am intrigued by idea of using a drill bit. Do you just grind the end of it flat ?

Will do some googling.

Bill

Drill first with a normal drill, then follow up with a drill ground flat on the end with relief behind the cutting edges.

In most cases you don't need a flat bottomed hole, but if you only need it once in awhile an endmill will work just fine. What I meant by sharpening them was if I were going lots of holes, however a few with an endmill shouldn't hurt it.

If you start with a flat bottomed drill, it will walk away and not drill straight. Endmills are much stiffer, and resist walking.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

A difference in nomenclature I suspect, UK "Slotting Drill", USA "Center Cutting Endmill". You can plunge cut with a center cutting endmill, straight down in Z like a drill, not with a non centercutting tool, you can ramp them in however.
Do not try and use a twist drill for side milling as this is not what they were designed for. There is such a thing as a drill/mill however, different beasty all together.

Back