Oliver SP-1Die Filer

liaw

Registered
Registered
Hello. This is my first post here. I have seen a few other threads regarding die filers, so thought this might be the correct place to ask.

I recently purchased an oliver SP-1 die filer and thought maybe some of you on here could help with more info about it. It seems to run ok, and has several files with it. I noticed that photos of this model I have seen all show having an overarm that can hold the top part of a file or saw in place. The one I have does not have an overarm, just a vertical bar that holds a hold down fixture that can be adjusted in height to hold down the material you are filing. Was the overarm an option not all had, or would this be one that just lost that part over the years? Probably would be impossible to find one now. I am in the process of cleaning this one up, someone globbed a lot of thick paint on it and filled in the socket heads with paint for some of the oiling point cover screws.

Thanks for any information anyone has that can help me get this one going as well as it can.

It would help if you posted some photos of the filer.

You might want to have a look at vintagemachinery.org if you haven't already done so. There is an extensive repository of machinery publication reprints there that may help. I looked at their Oliver listings and its huge -- I didn't see a catalogue specifically for the die filer, but I did see an older image of one in the "other" category at the end. I didn't do an exhaustive search though, there is a lot of Oliver information and catalogues there.

Indeed, post up a photo or two here of the one you have, we always like looking at cool machines!
Good luck in your search.

-frank

Thanks, I will take a look. Here is a poor photo of my machine before I removed the table and started examining it.

Attachments

• diefilersp1.jpg
    diefilersp1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 25
From what I have seen, most have the overarm with an upper support with a bearing.
I have a Butterfly and an all American Die filer.
I had to make a simple support for the files.
Hope this helps
C

Back