On-off switch, drum reverse switch 12 inch

Headrc

Registered
Registered
I am in the process of cleaning up and installing my recently acquired 12 inch 2557 Logan. I want to instal a reverse drum switch but am also wondering if I should also install an on-off switch. Does everyone here just rely on the drum reverse switch as the on off switch as well? The motor is a 2 HP wired for 220V ...at least says the previous owner. I plan on pulling the motor and making sure on that. Thanks, Richard

The drum switches are totally suitable as a power on switch as well. You may want to have a separate E-stop for safety reasons though.

It depends upon whether you have rug-rats around or not. If the drum switch is conveniently located and no rug rats, there is no real need for a separate ON-OFF switch. One guy who I know had to contend with grand children around his shop. So he mounted the drum switch on the wall behind his lathe and for normal operation, put it in FWD and used the factory ON-OFF switch mounted on the headstock. Whenever he left the machine, he reached over behind the lathe and put the drum switch in the center OFF position. But there is no technical reason to need both.

Thanks ...no rug rats ...just regular ones so just conduit for the wiring!

As I continue installing my Logan 820, also without a separate on/off switch, I’m happy to read this thread. I’m installing a kill switch on the wall behind the lathe to keep me from accidentally bumping the drum switch. My rug rats are 30 and 32, but as I’ve posted a couple of times lately, my shop used to be their bedroom in our Greenwich Village apartment, so space is a little tight.
Thanks!
Tim

So the table for my lathe has a two plug outlet, that I built into it, controlled by a on/off switch, between it and the wall. I then run my 3 phase 220v lathe motor through a vfd, connected to one of the aforesaid two plugs, that gives me the ability to turn off the vfd, and motor, by that on/off switch. I then, wired my forward/off/reverse drum switch to the low power inputs from the vfd, also giving me the ability to turn the motor off with the drum switch, but leave the vfd running.

Back