Onan Oil Mystery Water

Cadillac[COLOR=#000000] I have been flushing engines of all sorts for over 40 years with Diesel, never had a problem and recovered many that were considered write-offs needing a rebuild by others. Basically it cleans out a lot of gum and varnish on old engines, Diesel fuel is an oil,(why C.I. engines are known as oil engines),and a pretty good lubricant, it also removes water from the oil galleries of engines that have been under water or have had a leaking head gasket. I did about 60 vehicles in a week for a dealer that had been flooded in a small town, Groomers cleaned and detailed them all and they were steamcleaned, undersealed and waxed. Full disclosure to buyers and zero problems. Water in the intake on a hot engine is another trick to clean out the crud.[/COLOR] although I have seen mufflers choked with all the Carbon that is blown out.
Procedure is warm engine, drop oil. Replace drain plug, fill with Diesel to fill line, start and run for 5 -10 minutes with a few rev rises then stop, drain, replace oil filter, replace drain plug, fill with new oil and ready to go.
Water injection: Hot engine hold revs at 1000 plus for most small engines, squirt water into intake and blip throttle occasionally. Crap will fly out of the exhaust. Water injection is used on very heavily supercharged engines under load to smooth combustion and increase cylinder pressure while also stopping detonation. Ever notice how on a foggy morning your engine runs better down in a hollow? Nice cool wet air is why.
Big difference between fuel in oil,(leak), water in oil,(leak), and a situation that causes hydraulicing.

Are you saying squirting water in the intake cleans carbon deposits in engine??

I'm guessing that the latent heat of evaporation of the water in the intake cools the mixture down increasing its density, like an after cooler sort of.

Norton, I always wondered what happens to the cars & trucks that temporarily become submarines during floods. Your post no. 19 is fascinating but what about the catalytic converter?

I used to change oil in a fleet of busses with 8/71s in them,I would drain the oil over a ramp ,then drive across the yard ,no oil,to the oil tank in a corner of the shed......did it for years.....then one of the drivers ratted me out......the owner went ballistic,I think he s still orbiting Jupiter......He was always rabbiting on about filling up the filters with oil before installing.........ever tried handling the filter from a V71 full of oil....holds about a gallon....and slippery..

Norton, I always wondered what happens to the cars & trucks that temporarily become submarines during floods. Your post no. 19 is fascinating but what about the catalytic converter?
Honestly the "Engine" from a car that was flooded while not running is probably the thing that I would least worry about and is rarely the reason a car gets scrapped because of being flooded. The entire electrical system including the wire harnesses as well as the entire interior would need to be Replaced or you Risk dealing with all varieties of electrical gremlins and as well as their foul smelling mold and fungus deposits for the rest of the time you own the ride!

Probably no reason to flush the OP's engine with anything other than oil. Known good additives for cleaning things out are Marvel Mystery oil, Transmission Fluid, and Sea Foam but from the description it sounds like it didn't sit very long like that. Water will sink to the bottom of the crankcase but there's still a coating of oil on everything down there. My vote is just change the oil and run it for an hour or two then change it again, new filter of course.

If you really want to see an engine explode nothing beats nitromethane;)

John

I'm sorry to be the 12 year old boy in the room, but am I the only person here who thinks the subject line is funny? Sounds like the sheltered son of a clergyman first discovered Cowper's fluid.

Back