Once Upon a Time: Wen I Rebuilt My Drill Press

I didn't know about salvaging the stickers with a heat gun. Thanks for the info.

I used to work in computer depot repair. On laptops we would have to transfer labels anytime we replaced the bottom base. Some OEMs used labels where you had to heat just right to prevent the void pattern from being exposed.

Just practice on some old labels first, most don't need very much heat at all to soften up the adhesive. Can very easily melt/warp certain types of labels if not careful. Heating the backside of what the label is attached to rather than the label itself is sometimes required if possible. And be careful not to concentrate too much heat in one small area, heat evenly. It's not hard at all & can get the hang of it pretty quick.

Very cool thread. I have the same model drill press from Einhell in 230v. I have a big Powermatic 1200 and a decent Asian floor drill press, but I still kept this little guy with the variable speed and tach because it was a good-mannered drill press. I think you've inspired me to upgrade the bearings and chuck, and see what happens with it. For quick work and countersinking, it's nice to have a second setup.

Back