One day I had a plan

At that time I couldn’t go on with the project because there were no real data about the clutch and the gearbox.
So then I switched to the body. It took some time before I was satisfied with it.
I even designed my own livery in the colors of the Dutch National Racing team.
A team that really exist in the days when those cars drove the circuits.

surface01_zpse1fc480a.jpg

surface01_zpse1fc480a.jpg

I'm watching. You have amazing talent. I can't even draw a circle with a cad program.

I now also had time to make me drawings resized 5 to 1 with dimensions on it. So I could use those in my workshop.

crankshaft01_zps7c0273f3.jpg

crankshaft01_zps7c0273f3.jpg

And another one of the cranckshaft.

crankshaft02_zps0179eade.jpg

Some parts were quit complicated. For instance the cylinder heads.
Normally these are castings but that was not what I had in mind.
So I try to break it down in pieces that I maybe could make with the machines in my workshop. Here is what I did.

917test07_zpsea31697a.jpg

crankshaft02_zps0179eade.jpg

917test07_zpsea31697a.jpg

As I wrote that other people were interested in using the drawing. Someone contacted me and asked if he could use the file of the engine for a 3D print.
That was alright with me. But after a while it became clear the simply sending a 3D file in the usual 3D file formats was not enough.. It had to be a STL file.
Whith that kind of files I had no experience so I tried to generate a STL file out of the existing drawings.
The result was an endless series of warnings that the subject wasn’t “watertight” whatever that may be.
So I deepened my knowledge about that. Conclusion. The way I have drawn all my parts wasn’t the right way to get it watertight.
And because it wasn’t my project I decided not to start all over again.
I did send the file and the guy has it printed. In return I got a picture of what was the result .
And as you can see parts are missing. So I think that’s what mends with watertight.

3Dprint02_zps88c90ee2.jpg

3Dprint02_zps88c90ee2.jpg

That's an interesting attempt at 3D printing!

I hate seeing that damn cat! I do not know why pictures can not become a permanent part of a thread. Just one of my pet pees.
Nelson

The reason is very simple in most cases. People refuse to upload their pictures on our server and choose instead to use other hosting services like photobucket or shutterfly.......where they can disappear and the links embedded in our threads are no good. Nothing we can do about fixing it..

In other rare cases, we have been hacked a couple of times and had to resort to our backups to restore content, and it was not completely up to date, hence the loss. Another factor was when we made the switch from another forum software to what we use now. There were some unfortunate data losses.

We can't count on the OP to help. He has not been here since April of 2013, so not much chance of getting him to re-upload the pics. Too bad, it was an interesting project.

Tony
Thanks for the explanation. I understand and I guess I was having a bad day. It's just crappy when you do a search for something and this comes up. Again thanks
Nelson

Back