One day I had a plan

So now turn the engine 90 degrees. Then 14 connecting rods from one side of the engine to the other side as well as 12 pistons were put in place.
On top of it the support plate for the fan.

917assem11_zpsa8986757.jpg

Next came the oil filter for the enormous amount of oil what was pumped around and the 48 studs for mounting the cylinders and the cylinderheads.

917assem12_zpsfd13294b.jpg

917assem11_zpsa8986757.jpg

917assem12_zpsfd13294b.jpg

The following step 12 air-cooled cylinders and two cassettes with a number of gears to drive the camshafts.
Intake on top and exhaust at the bottom .
To operate the valves in a four stroke engine the number of revs must be slow to half the revs of the crankshaft.

917assem13_zps0e72672d.jpg

Next the 12 cylinder heads.

917assem14_zps0e5b1b4e.jpg

917assem13_zps0e72672d.jpg

917assem14_zps0e5b1b4e.jpg

On top of the cylinder heads comes a carrier plate wich will hold the camshafts and their housing.

917assem15_zpse178de97.jpg

So almost done . Close up the engine. Put on the sliders with the air intakes.
The huge fan in the middle with on both sides two ignition distributors.

917assem18_zps60a42a26.jpg

So I've got my 20 contributions to this forum. Let see what other people are doing.
Maybe when their is more enthousiasm about this thread I will finish it or maybe not.

917assem15_zpse178de97.jpg

917assem18_zps60a42a26.jpg

I'm full of enthusiasm regarding your thread here! But because of your advanced position, I am merely a spectator.
Since you already built the engine and complete vehicle, I am following you to see the actual construction.
....maybe in a separate thread? I can only imagine the machine shop's capabilities/appearance.....not to mention the casting area, or the body work section.
I hope you took videos of some of the machining!

Yes this is my way to get 20 posts instead of asking stupid things.

Rijk
Heh! I don't think the 20post rule pertains to you as much as it does to those the likes of me. :)
Well done so far!!! Please keep this "build thread" going!

I'm a little hesitant to post questions with the chance they might be deemed in such a way.
But I will ask a question anyway....

Is this one of the pistons you actually used in the engine? :
pist01_zps4abe845e.jpg

pist01_zps4abe845e.jpg

Last edited:
I'm full of enthusiasm regarding your thread here! But because of your advanced position, I am merely a spectator.
Since you already built the engine and complete vehicle, I am following you to see the actual construction.

So why do you think I’m in an advanced position?
I never said anything about completion of the engine nor the whole vehicle. Maybe I should tell a bit more about the background of it all.

I hope you took videos of some of the machining!

Heh! I don't think the 20post rule pertains to you as much as it does to those the likes of me. :)
Well done so far!!! Please keep this "build thread" going!

I'm a little hesitant to post questions with the chance they might be deemed in such a way.
But I will ask a question anyway....

Is this one of the pistons you actually used in the engine? :

No videos only a few number of pics. When I’m working in my shop I’m a bad photographer.
Sorry that quotation doesn’t regard people asking me but me asking stupid things to other skilled people.

And indeed this piston is one of the twelve I made.

Hi Rijk,
And yes I have started building and also finished. But about that later.

Rijk

This is what led me to believe you finished it. But I may have been confusing your words with the PLANNING and drawings rather than the physical.
I'll be watching for further output from you!

Thanks!

Now than a little more about the project. I started it about 3 years ago. The first 3 month were for collecting data, drawings, pictures and understanding how everything worked in the real world. Then I started drawing. Three things at the time as I mentioned before the frame , the hull and the engine in a way that when one of those stopped by lack of data I switched to the other. The frame and the hull were on it self not so complicated to get a reasonable result. But when the three parts come together than the problem begun. The things that were most complicated was the translation of the real world data to something that fits in the drawing. For instance the dimension of the tires made from the original specs doesn’t fit the blueprints I’ve used. Rescaling the blueprints to the size of the tires makes the overall length to big.
Another problem was my knowledge of basical technical knowledge . An example . The dimension of the gears that drive the camshafts within the engine. I knew the right number of teeth on each of them but I couldn’t fit them in the cassette that connect the crankshaft and the camshafts. After I enhanced my knowledge about gears I found the solution that was used in the real world. Simply use 2 different modula dimensions to make (draw) those gears.
After a year or so I had most of the parts in place including the engine. But without the gearbox. I’ve been searching around the internet for pics, asking people. I even contacted the Porsche museum. Nothing about that subject. Only some pictures of a closed gearbox and some tables with data about the number of teeth that were used at LeMans.
But at last half a year later or so someone send me some pics he had made himself of an opened gearbox and so I could move on.
I finished the drawings by completing the car with a number of small parts. Some parts has still to be drawn but again there is another subject from which I don’t have the dimensions it’s the 12 channel fuel pump.

Meanwhile I have had conversations with a number of people that were interested to use my drawings for completely different things. One wanted to do theoretical strength calculation on the frame. Another one wanted to 3D print the engine. And even someone wanted all of my drawings to build himself a real car. From most of them I never heard anything.

The last part of the (for me) never ending story is that I started a build. My biggest challenge was the engine. Mostly because of the fact that it wasn’t to big to handle and that the most parts had to be machined. (btw the length of the whole model in 1 to 5 is about 80 cm). And half a year later the project was stopped due to a problem I will tell later on.

Rijk

Last edited:
So now see if the engine fits the frame. Still without a gearbox.

clay01_zps9a5fdb3c.jpg

clay01_zps9a5fdb3c.jpg

Don't think that you don't have people interested in this! I check it every day and finally just subscribed to the thread. I've been teaching myself 3D CAD, and I'm simply in awe of your skills. I'm look at the simple drawings I'm trying to convert and then see what you're doing. you're advanced all right!

I've been teaching myself 3D CAD, and I'm simply in awe of your skills. I'm look at the simple drawings I'm trying to convert and then see what you're doing. you're advanced all right!

I never had any grafical building. I also teached it myself. My advise is to practice and practice until you get what you want.

Rijk

Back