One more drum switch question

AcfarmerNH

Registered
Registered
Hello,

My father gave me a South Bend 9A lathe sans motor years ago and its been sitting idle in my shop but I've decided that its time to get it into working order. I've been reading through the cleaning and restoration threads and am ready to power it up. As it didn't have a motor when I received it, I picked up a single phase 1/2 hp dual voltage Marathon motor from Tractor Supply and a drum switch off ebay. Specifications for each are below:

Motor: Marathon 56c17f5325a
Drum Switch: Relay and Control Logic RS-1A-SH

In reading the available drum switch threads, most of these motors seem to be either 4 or 7 wire units...if I am reading the diagram correctly, I have nine. I'd like to wire this for the low voltage option (115v) and need some help with the wiring as well as understanding the rotation reversing with the black and read wires. I've included some photos below and would appreciate any help you could offer.

thanks
Mike

motor nameplate.jpgswitch.jpgswitch label left.jpgswitch label right.jpg

For single direction the wiring is easy. Group the motor wires together as per diagram. I don't think you can reverse direction of this motor using the drum switch as black and red leads have to change groups in the motor wiring before line 1 and 2 go to the switch.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Q. How many terminals on the switch? A photo..?
I built Rotary Switches for Blue Line, Salzer and Telux, in a past life.
Mark Needham

Here you go..
i hope it helps out

MARATHON FARM DUTY ACFARMER.jpg

to explain..

L1 is the incoming power neutral leg- White- it is connected to motor P1
Motor BLUE is shorted (coupled to) Motor T1
Motor Orange and Motor P2 are coupled together and extended to drum switch terminal 4
Motor White and Motor Yellow are coupled together and extended to drum switch terminal 3
Motor Red is extended to drum switch 5
Motor Black is extended to drum switch 1
L2 is the incoming power hot leg-Black- it is connected to drum switch 3 (along with Motor White and Motor Yellow)

Last edited:
Here you go..
i hope it helps out

View attachment 283506

to explain..

L1 is the incoming power neutral leg- White- it is connected to motor P1
Motor BLUE is shorted (coupled to) Motor T1
Motor Orange and Motor P2 are coupled together and extended to drum switch terminal 4
Motor White and Motor Yellow are coupled together and extended to drum switch terminal 3
Motor Red is extended to drum switch 5
Motor Black is extended to drum switch 1
L2 is the incoming power hot leg-Black- it is connected to drum switch 3 (along with Motor White and Motor Yellow)

motor controls is part of everyday work for me

Thank you... I will give this a try over the weekend. I appreciate the help

Shouldn't L2 open when switch is in center off position?
mark

That’s why I suggested the 2 pole switch before the drum switch

OK. Be carefull. There are a 100 ways the switch could be built. It is not a switch I have had to play with!
They all do the same thing, Power one phase, the same for F and R, but reverse the polarity of the other windings., in FWD or REV.
I think Ulma Doctor has it.

But, I am not as sure as I usually am????!????!!!!
Mark Needham

Last edited:
Back