One Rob and hacksaw blade later

Basically this tool is now ready. Maybe two handles for tightening the work piece squeezer. Also, a fly cutter to accommodate gear cutting bits.

Here are the individual components.

The frame which I made from 20mm thick hot rolled steel plate. It has two 4mm pins for aligning the index locker.
IMG_5179.JPG

Index disc holder with thread which I made three times over. I also learned that interference fitting small diameter components is not a trip in the park. It has a 4mm pin to register the index disc.
IMG_5180.JPG

Nut for keeping the index disc in the holder. I made a threading tool because I had no internal threading tooling. The threading/boring bar works really well.
IMG_5181.JPG

The index locker is made of tool steel. It has a silver soldered 4mm pin to lock the index disc. The groove is 4mm wide to slide with the fram pins. The pins and the locker are hardened.
IMG_5182.JPG

The work piece is held by this expanding holder. The index disk holder shaft has a flat to accept the set screw of the work piece holder. This registers the index disc with the work piece. When the set screw is tightened the holder expands and grips on a center hole of the gear blank. In this case the hole needs to be 13mm but it is easy to make other sizes. The holder it self is split and the I measured a 0.3mm expansion with very light tightening.
IMG_5183.JPG

The work piece is pushed against the bottom of the frame while machining the gear teeth. This nut is used to tighten the assembly. This is still missing a handle to operate the tool without extra wrenches. The thread is M16 x 1.
IMG_5184.JPG

This is how the tool looks when it is is assembled.
IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

IMG_5186.JPG

Back