One Size Fits All?

higgite

Professional Crastinator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While researching 4-jaw independent chucks for my bench lathe, I ran across this one, Sealey SM30024JC.
1566907411991.png
If anyone can document what size this chuck is, or if it is indeed one size fits all, they will win the grand prize, i.e., the undying gratitude of Sealey chuck shoppers around the globe and the satisfaction of embarrassing my Google-fu abilities. Speculation, educated guesses, SWAGs and hearsay are strongly discouraged.
Not valid where prohibited by law or common sense.
Gentlemen, start your search engines!

Tom

it's 5 inches & needs an adaptor plate

At 3.22 lbs, it must be made out of plastic. Mike

Based on the weight of 3.2 lbs, I found several other brands of 3 inch, 4 jaw, plain back chucks that are about the same weight. The machine that uses this chuck is a Sealey SM3002_V2 7 x 12 lathe which has the chuck bolt directly to the spindle as if the spindle was the back plate.There is no back plate, you would have to make or modify one to adapt this chuck to your lathe.

The 5.2 dimensions are the shipping dimensions. A 5" chuck will be closer to 30 lbs.

This is as close as my google-fu could get.

It is on Amazon, you can always ask a question.

One of my pet peeves with Amazon is their idea of technical specifications. Usually, it's something like package dimensions. color, and shipping weight.
In this case, however the manufacturer has precious little information about the chuck and the lathe it is intended to mate with. It appears from the lathe parts diagram that the spindle has a mounting disk with 6mm holes that the chuck mounts to. The manufacturer states a net wt. of 1.55 kg or 3.41 lbs. From that, I would guess a 4" to 5" chuck. It also appears that two sets of jaws are provided which is unusual for a chuck with independent jaws.
Based on the lack of information and the asking price, I would be hesitant to purchase one.

Based on the lack of information and the asking price, I would be hesitant to purchase one.
This thread is just for fun. I thought it was funny that nowhere do they spec its size. No way I'm going to purchase it, especially at Amazon's asking price. I saw it on other websites for about 2/3 the price but mostly in pounds or Euros from overseas suppliers. Seems to be for a specific lathe of the same manufacture, like Flyinfool mentioned.

In the real world, I'm off in a minute to look at a 4" 4J Gator from a local supplier. I hope I like it.

Tom

This thread is just for fun. I thought it was funny that nowhere do they spec its size. No way I'm going to purchase it, especially at Amazon's asking price. I saw it on other websites for about 2/3 the price but mostly in pounds or Euros from overseas suppliers. Seems to be for a specific lathe of the same manufacture, like Flyinfool mentioned.

In the real world, I'm off in a minute to look at a 4" 4J Gator from a local supplier. I hope I like it.

Tom
Gotcha! I actually think it is kind of sad that there are virtually no technical specifications. I have come to expect that from Amazon but from a manufacturer???

Tom

I came, I saw, I conquered...er, purchased.

Tom

Odd duck! The best I could do was to find a Sealy price list - https://issuu.com/apachequadsbrochure/docs/sealeypricelistapache
Page 94-95 of the price list mentions the SM30024JC, but gives absolutely no size information.

It appears that Amazon has been opening its doors just a bit too far in its efforts to widen the marketplace. Several recent reports have addressed the problem of unsafe/banned/mislabeled products listed on the site. Some examples:

Back