One sled dog , lets add more " mushers " !

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
You see where this is going . If a boat is made for 10 row hands and you are down to one , it's time to hire some more managers to whip that guy to keep up the pace . You know , this ******* **** is getting old . Rant over . This has nothing to do with this site , just my occupation . I hereby would kindly give my one finger salute to my management team , what a bunch of arseholes . :bs: I apologize to the members , but last night went past the breaking point .

Punch the clock, do good work and go home after 8 hours. Heroic measures on your part only allow them to continue swimming in a river in Egypt.
Don't help them out. Sooner they figure it out the better for everyone.

I agree with Asm109, just keep quiet & put in your time until you find something better. There are better out there, it's just a matter of looking for what you're after. Then you can walk out with your head high, just be sure to remember to let them know (in a civil tone) why you're leaving or the Boneheads will have no idea whats up.

Reminds me of the days when I worked for a large computer company, which I'll just call "HAL". One of my colleagues had a cartoon sketch posted in his office. I wish now I had made a copy of it. It was a sketch showing three rowing (i.e. crew) teams. The first was labeled "Harvard Racing Team", and the skull contained a team of half a dozen rowers, and one coxswain barking out directions through a little megaphone. The second was labeled "Yale Racing Team", and just like the "Harvard" team, was a boat with 6 rowers and one coxswain. The third was labeled "HAL Racing Team". The boat had a single rower, with seven guys shouting orders at him. Sadly, it was not too far from the truth.
John

Hope things improve Dave, being not happy at work is tough.

There's a song in here somewhere I think. :big grin:
When you continually save the day and keep the lines moving, put out the fires, and 'deliver', management will come to expect that as the 'norm'.
Then they eventually come to expect you to do that with no support or backing and then flog you when you didn't 'come through'.
Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, had the heart attack. . .

Above all, you have to factor in your health. Stress is, contrary to manly beliefs, a killer.

You see where this is going . If a boat is made for 10 row hands and you are down to one , it's time to hire some more managers to whip that guy to keep up the pace . You know , this ******* **** is getting old . Rant over . This has nothing to do with this site , just my occupation . I hereby would kindly give my one finger salute to my management team , what a bunch of arseholes . :bs: I apologize to the members , but last night went past the breaking point .

Surprisingly, not all folks in management are idiots or evil. A calm thoughtful approach, where you show that you understand what management is trying to achieve, then explaining the practical difficulties involved, and suggesting what actually can be done both with current resource and with additional resource, can work wonders.

Surprisingly, not all folks in management are idiots or evil. A calm thoughtful approach, where you show that you understand what management is trying to achieve, then explaining the practical difficulties involved, and suggesting what actually can be done both with current resource and with additional resource, can work wonders.
Perhaps, but they are few and far between though.
Peter's Principle is more the case than the exception - IMO.
It's usually 'management by intimidation' - "Enough with the excuses, just get it done or else we'll find someone that can."
I had a manager early on in my career that had a philosophy that was "A good manager will surround themselves with good people so that he/she will look good and then everyone will rise up in the ranks".
I've seen that only a few times in (40) years.

The single most powerful aspect of management I have seen in my 40 years of employment is this one, only recently revealed so succinctly-

"There is no quicker way to ruin a GOOD employee than to let him see you tolerate a BAD one".

I was working for a terrible company back in the mid 90's, hated the owner and his brother but I just went to work regardless, never really considered quitting. Anyway, maybe my feelings were obvious as I got let go one Friday. I had never been fired before. After a few minutes of thought I decided to start my own business. Almost 25 years later I have 12 employees and plenty of money in the bank. Getting let go was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Back