One way to find center.

I think that Jimsehr likely uses common sense and due diligence but not driving the top of the tool into the spindle but carefully adjusts the tool holder adjusting nut up to the micrometer spindle. I used his approach just this morning and see no issue providing one doesn't drive the tool into the spindle.
As I understand the proposed use of the depth mike, the mike base was on the round diameter and the mike spindle was on the cutting tool. Surely the hardened cutter would mark / scratch the flat face of the spindle end with continued use ? I don,'t think that the mike spindle end would be harder than the cutter ?

Dinosaur
Do you check the dia of drills , end mills and the like with a mic ? Will that hurt the mic ?

As I understand the proposed use of the depth mike, the mike base was on the round diameter and the mike spindle was on the cutting tool. Surely the hardened cutter would mark / scratch the flat face of the spindle end with continued use ? I don,'t think that the mike spindle end would be harder than the cutter ?
I suppose that you could be right DE, but as I've stated earlier, due diligence. Anyhow, I've used the ruler standing up straight approach for a while. I still think that the OP's procedure makes a lot of sense if you wish to be very accurate. Besides, when using AXA tool holders, you only have to set up once.

Back