Online auction of lathes, mills, etc in Paso Robles

A lot of nice equipment in there. If one could get them for a reasonable price, it would make for a shop filling experience. Of course, reasonable prices at auctions are hit or miss.

My experience with these online auctions is the serious buyers bid at the end of the auction. Sometimes off brand machines and older machines too big for the typical hobbyist sell for peanuts. I saw a south bend 16x60 with a fair amount of extras sell for $100. I have seen off brand mills sell for under $500. Anything listed as parts or needing repair or to be put back together won't sell for even scrap value. And then brand names and hobby sized machines will sell for big $$$$. Awhile back I picked up 3 Wilton drill presses for $30. They were laying on a pallet and listed as parts machines. One was a complete working drill press. I used the parts off of the other two to come up with another working drill press. All I had to buy were two chucks.

Location is another factor. Paso Robles is not exactly a machining hot bed. Shipping costs might keep the prices down. You never know.

For around here Paso Robles IS the machining hotbed. The guys I talked to said their bread and butter was the wineries which there is over 400 last time I heard. Like everybody the manual machines are being phased out. I've never watched how these auctions go but there's also one in Atascadero and it's like Mickri said, hobby stuff is gold, big stuff is bargain and everything else is hit and miss.

I bid on a couple of things at this auction. As a lark never thinking that I might win I bid on a logan 8" 4 jaw chuck. My max bid was $50 and I won at $40. Just under $50 with auction fees and sales tax. I will pick it up next week when I am over to the coast for Thanksgiving. Looks to be in good condition. My research indicates that it fits a 2 3/8 x 8 tpi spindle. I may have to make an adapter to fit my 1 1/2 x 8 tpi spindle. I have an 8" 4 jaw that is not in the best of condition. Lots of damage to the threads on the jaws. I may get lucky on the mounting plate. The mounting plate screws on my current 4 jaw look to be the same as this chuck with 4 screws in the exact some location. That would be really nice.

4 jaw logan chuck.jpg IMG_3650.JPG

Back