Online metal supply

Billk

Active User
Registered
Has anyone out there ever bought steel from Online Metal Supply? Their prices are really good but I've never bought from them so I don't know about the quality of their products. Also, I'd like info on where I can buy steel at a good price. I don't need large quantities, usually smaller pieces for lathe projects.
Thanks.

Make sure you watch the shipping with metal any where on line. I buy most mine on ebay. I am a price comparison shopper and I can find it on ebay cheaper most times

I would look in the yellow pages. I know it sounds unconventional but it may work. Find a metals dealer that has scrap steel or scrap metal and go by and check them out.:))

I have bought material on line from several sources and the freight often is much more than the material.

i found that my local welding and fabricating shop sells metal. They special ordered a 12' length of flat stock for me and it was much, much cheaper than I could have bought on line. The difference is, this is a big shop and they get truckloads of steel in at least once a week. They ordered a 20' length and cut my piece off of it. I also bought a length of round bar stock for cheap.

I buy most of my metal from a large local supplier. See if there's one in you area as that would be the best option. Other than that I buy metals my local supplier does not carry from Mcmaster. The only metal I purchase on ebay is titanium. I get acetal from Enco as they are always on sale.

Normally I check four places for the material I need
McMaster Carr
Online Metals
Speedy Metals
Ebay

Which ever one is the cheapest gets the order unless I need it quickly then McMaster Carr get the order because they always deliver the next business day even if I order something at 5:59pm.
As far as quality Ebay is the only one that you might get some mystery metal from.

I would look in the yellow pages. I know it sounds unconventional but it may work. Find a metals dealer that has scrap steel or scrap metal and go by and check them out.:))

I've called several places but they don't sell scrap they just buy it. I'm looking for some 8620 and I have only been able to find it online. Speedy Metals and others are expensive but Online Metal is considerably less. I just wonder if it is imported steel or a lesser quality.
thanks for the suggestion though. I'll start looking on Monday.

I've bought a lot of metal from Speedy Metals. Their prices for the metal are pretty good but the shipping is high. It's getting that way with most things you buy on line any more unless you get a large quantity.
I have a large steel supplier close to me but their minimum is 10' or half a length. Some
times I'll go ahead and get the whole 20' for a job that only needs a small amount and use the rest for another project.

There was a couple of eBay metal sellers that sold 12” long pieces at very reasonable prices and no tax and delivered right to your door. But they have gone away? I do not see them selling anymore on eBay? I guess it was to good to be true. I can’t afford to get in my car and go across town with the price of gas around here! And I was getting my metal fix at half the price delivered to my door!

I buy from a local supplier, i just need toi purchase in 5-6 foot pieces. They do have cuts and some random lengths of different pieces too, its just more random. I have befriended a couple of scrappers, they know i pay more than scrap prices and are happy to sell to me:allgood:
It may require some leg work, networking and some luck but you should be able to get 1/2 your material needs at reasonable prices.

Back