Online metal supply

i have been using amazon for most of my metal. You can get brass, aluminum, Acetal and most kinds of metal. If you’re a prime member shipping is free.

Very belatedly, I've used Amazon for metal as well. There is a very substantial mark-up on the price of the materials. For small orders, with Prime shipping, it can equal out as you're shifting the cost of shipping into the price for the metal itself. That being said, it seems like for more than a tiny order, the mark-up on the material makes it much more expensive than if you went to one of the many, many other places to get your metal.

Has anyone out there ever bought steel from Online Metal Supply? Their prices are really good but I've never bought from them so I don't know about the quality of their products. Also, I'd like info on where I can buy steel at a good price. I don't need large quantities, usually smaller pieces for lathe projects.
Thanks.
I have bought from them some small quantities and am happy with what I have received.

having a problem finding 4041 HT. I originally was looking a few weeks ago. Online , buymetals, only have annealed, mcmaster no 4041, speedy had it, and the shipping was more reasonable than I had seen from them. I wrote about online's shipping, but I also saw speedy was more reasonable. Well speedy is back to ridiculous.

just to show
mcmaster 10.99
online 7.99 up to 50lbs.
speedy 27.05

Hoping I can find 4140 HT for a reasonable price on material + shipping. but speedy continues to frustrate me.

having a problem finding 4041 HT. I originally was looking a few weeks ago. Online , buymetals, only have annealed, mcmaster no 4041, speedy had it, and the shipping was more reasonable than I had seen from them. I wrote about online's shipping, but I also saw speedy was more reasonable. Well speedy is back to ridiculous.

just to show
mcmaster 10.99
online 7.99 up to 50lbs.
speedy 27.05

Hoping I can find 4140 HT for a reasonable price on material + shipping. but speedy continues to frustrate me.
Guess I'm lucky. The Atlanta Online warehouse is just 20 minutes from me.

I have occasionally purchased metal from Online Metals. I have received items of good quality and if desired a Mill Test Report (MTR) is typically available at no extra charge. I am fortunate as they have a warehouse within 10 minutes of my home so any item they sell can be shipped to this warehouse for pickup at no additional charge.

unfortunately, they don't have 4140 HT.
They are higher priced than speedy, sometimes by a lot, sometimes a little. Their shipping is now reasonable..
IT'S SPEEDY THAT IS THE PROBLEM, ridiculous shipping rates.

just to show
mcmaster 10.99
online 7.99 up to 50lbs.
speedy 27.05

Wow it looks like Online has really adjusted their shipping. They used to be pretty reasonable for larger orders (couple hundred dollars) but prohibitively expensive on small ones.

Saw this week that the US/Japan have negotiated to exempt Japan from steel tariffs (but not aluminum). Hoping that helps a bit with keeping metal prices reasonable.

the price of metal is fluctuating quite a bit. A few weeks ago my local (1 hr away) was twice the price as it is today. I may take a trip, still higher than others, but it might pay.

Back