Online metal supply

There was a couple of eBay metal sellers that sold 12” long pieces at very reasonable prices and no tax and delivered right to your door. But they have gone away? I do not see them selling anymore on eBay? I guess it was to good to be true. I can’t afford to get in my car and go across town with the price of gas around here! And I was getting my metal fix at half the price delivered to my door!

I know who you mean. I've been missing them too. They usually sold drops that would be uneconomical for a "real" shop but worked well for my needs. I loved the way they would cram a flat rate shipping box until it was rather heavy. My wife usually picks up the mail but would always call me for their shipments.

I bought a piece of round that was 6" across and 2" high. I cleaned up the surface a bit and now it's my bench anvil.

Charles

I have purchased from EBay, I buy my 12L14 or 1018 from there, prices have been reasonable and shipping not excessive.

I also buy from a local machine shop if need be. They will sell their 'drops' or cut a piece with an added cutting charge but it's not bad.

Just because they are on ebay makes them no less the metal supply. 2 of them links is a comp called onlinemetalsupply, one is midwesterenmetalsupply, one is a industrial supply and one is just a guys store that is for metal work. The folks I use my self pretty often is shapiro metal supply on ebay. Arlo is also on ebay as are many other "real" metal suppliers.

That's not what I meant to imply. Ebay is a great market for all suppliers. I'm sure metal wholesalers and the like found out early on that it's a great way to market drop material. I was merely saying beware if the part you are making is a stressed or critical part and the alloy is critical. A few extra $$$ here saves a lot of headache down the road.

Personally I buy from ebay quite a bit. I usually look for "free shipping" in the ad. Or ask the seller to combine shipping from different auctions. Most are happy to do so.

Thanks to all who replied. I'll probably try Online Metals as they have what I need at a good price. There is a hardware supply place near where I live. I get 1018 & 12L14 for a dollar a pound but they charge five bucks for a saw cut. Still it's not bad. They buy out machine shop stock and the only difficulty is the color coding is different for each manufacturer. They have most of what I need and are a decent hardware store as well.
Thanks again.

Thanks to all who replied. I'll probably try Online Metals as they have what I need at a good price. There is a hardware supply place near where I live. I get 1018 & 12L14 for a dollar a pound but they charge five bucks for a saw cut. Still it's not bad. They buy out machine shop stock and the only difficulty is the color coding is different for each manufacturer. They have most of what I need and are a decent hardware store as well.
Thanks again.

I'd ask if I could bring a hacksaw and cut it myself.

i live close to you. i use northcoast metal mart (216) 398-6711 they have helped me on multiple occasions, What is the hardware store you mention?

To avoid shipping charges, you might check to see if there is a Metal Suppermarkets (Metalsupermarkets.com) in your area. I've done a little business with them and they seemed real reasonable on price. They have a "cut off" area where you can buy cut offs at reduced price, but I think it's mostly 1018. Also, there was no cut off charge, at least for the piece of sheet metal I bought.

I often buy from Exact Metal on ebay, as their shipping is more reasonable. Every time I go to Online Metal, the shipping is more then the material. They say they offer USPS, also, but it never shows as an option and for the same from from Exact which is mailed to me by them. Some times, I order multiple small pieces at little or no price increase which saves me cutting time/labour.

I have purchased from Online Metal Supply, the prices seemed OK, but I thought the shipping was a bit high. I also use Metal Supermarkets, they have a Portland branch, a little bit high priced, but they will cut a 1 inch piece off of a bar for you.

I guess I'm lucky, in Portland we have several stocking metal suppliers, one of them is pretty much devoted to tool steels, and there are a number of other vendors for specialty metals and non-ferrous, most of them have a drop box to scrounge through. We also have a couple of suppliers the cater to the small piece buyer they both sell new stock and surplus drops. Most of them will deliver for free with a $200 minimum order.

Has anyone out there ever bought steel from Online Metal Supply? Their prices are really good but I've never bought from them so I don't know about the quality of their products. Also, I'd like info on where I can buy steel at a good price. I don't need large quantities, usually smaller pieces for lathe projects.
Thanks.

I am not much of buyer but I find http://www.speedymetals.com are cheapest. I have bought mostly aluminum (tubes, flats, round bars, all in 6061 grade) and some brass. My comparison includes shipping costs.

HTH
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

Back