Onshape anyone?

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just got my new issue of "Home Shop Machinist" magazine and there's a lengthy article about Onshape CAD. I must admit that I've never heard of this CAD software. It looks like it might be an alternative to Fusion 360.

Does anyone here use it? Likes? Dislikes?

From what I can tell, it doesn't do CAM. Is that correct? If so, are there alternatives?

I can't get over this hurdle as a hobbyist: Pricing

I can't get over this hurdle as a hobbyist: Pricing
You have to dig for this one: https://www.onshape.com/products/free, but your designs are then shared publicly.
Quote "At no cost, hobbyists, makers, and others who are willing to freely share their designs can pursue their projects without the hassles commonly found in old CAD systems. "

Still prefer Fusion360, better support videos and even at the free hobby level you get 2.5 axis CAM.

You have to dig for this one: https://www.onshape.com/products/free, but your designs are then shared publicly.
Quote "At no cost, hobbyists, makers, and others who are willing to freely share their designs can pursue their projects without the hassles commonly found in old CAD systems. "

Still prefer Fusion360, better support videos and even at the free hobby level you get 2.5 axis CAM.
I think Fusion 360 shares your designs as well. But agree that support at least appears to be better and yes, has an advantage with 2.5 CAM. Thanks for digging deeper and finding the free offer for Onshape. This may work for a lot of hobbyists here.

Fusion360 gives you the ability to share designs, but it is not required that you share them. Also quite convenient to show your design on an Android tablet when away from home.

Yes, Onshape is free for hobbyist use as long as you agree to having your designs shared. This is not an issue for me.

However, the lack of CAM is an issue.

I use it extensively, it's fantastic. As said, it doesn't do CAM, but all my machines are manual anyway...

One great feature is you don't install it and you can never lose your work because you're computer crashes. It runs in the browser entirely in that there cloud. Always up to date too.

I'm working manually now, but working on getting my mill converted to CNC. So, the CAM part will be essential in the future.

I do like the feature of there is nothing to install and the files are accessible anywhere. They need to add CAM!

While Fusion installs on your machine, the project files are in the cloud. It is possible to work offline, they will sync when sync again.

While Fusion installs on your machine, the project files are in the cloud. It is possible to work offline, they will sync when sync again.

Sorry for the Fusion detour, but I've asked this question on different forums with different responses. Who knows, maybe their policy itself has varied over the years adding to confusion. Is this (mandatory cloud file storage/sync) true for all pricing models of Fusion, or just the freebie one?

I think this is the current 'paid' pricing model. Are you saying that would still have your files being cloud stored by default? Or paid subscription now means local storage with the optional ability of cloud storage for sharing/collaboration?

Some of the vendors are very cagey about their wording in this regard.

Back