Oops Tool

taycat

Registered
Registered
picked up electrical cabinet cheap that i want to use as power distribution box for another project.
only prob i need bigger holes than are in it and need them neat so made tool below.
was also chance to lesson in screwcutting on lathe at model eng club i belong to.
made it for use in drill press as cabinet will fit over table.

it's threaded 1/2x20 adaptor came with set i bought so i can use full range of hole saws with it.
put bigger one on first then fit saw that fits hole and nicely aligned bigger hole.

oops1.jpg oops2.jpg

next time i go will do one that fits in hand drill

Hand drill's fine, but hard to hold as the hole saw cuts through, it's gonna want to twist, nasty.

So you think it would twist? A hole saw is actually that, a saw, it cuts very differently to a twist drill so I don't think it will grab like a drill does.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Atunguyrd - When a hole saw is used in a hand-held drill, it's almost inevitable that one tooth will break through before the others. Holding things dead perpendicular to the work piece is difficult. After the first break-through, a saw tooth can then catch on the edge of the cut. When it does, it will immediately stop the hole saw from turning, and all the motor's torque will be translated to the handles, trying to twist the drill out of your hands. The more powerful a hand drill you have, the more dangerous it can be, especially if you're blithely running at high speed and not anticipating the break-through. And of course, the larger the hole saw is, the more leverage it has! Been there, done that.

Agreed, but that tooth can only dig so far because there are another 40 or more teeth that have not broken through and are all engaged in the workpiece and will minimise how far that tooth can protruded through said workpiece. I am not saying it will not grab at all, but I seriously doubt it will grab anything like a twist drill does where the lips break through and then the part gets stuck in the flutes.

Jim I will admit that my experience with hole saws and hand drills is mainly limited to wood so I am speculating here. I will stand corrected if I am totally wrong

If you allow the hole saw to cut through in one spot, then "walk"the tilted hole saw around the cut counter clockwise, you really limit the amount of grab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have holesawed a lot of electrical cabinets. The bigger the holesaw the more prone to grabbing. Below 2 inch is not bad, but cut a 4 1/2 inch fan hole sometime. You haven't lived until you've had a 1/2 Milwaukee Hole-Shooter try to twist your arm off. I have actually twisted off a 1/2 inch saw arbor with a 4 1/2 inch saw.

Last edited:
I like your idea. I would used some flat washers to shim the non-threaded part of the arbor. That way it won't get jammed into the the saws threads. Also mill our grind a couple flats for a wrench to help disassemble.

Back