Oops Tool

Here's what I made for cutting fan holes with. Jim, I also used my Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter to cut the holes. Talking about messing with my Aurtritius!
DSCN2795.JPG DSCN2799.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The holesaw actually will twist your arm much more than a small drill bit, because of the extra leverage the large diameter of the holesaw affords.

Just try it if you don't believe me....

Why are you guys using such large holes saws in hole shooters? That's what right angle drills and knock outs are for...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are you guys using such large holes saws in hole shooters? That's what right angle drills and knock outs are for.......

Have you priced a 4-1/2" Greenlee knock out punch lately????

I have Greenlee knock out punches for all the pipe sizes 1/2" up to 2", can't afford and justify any larger than that.

slightly off-topic but the HF hydraulic knockout punch set is on sale for $90 and it works about the same as the green variety and well worth the price, especially if you add the 20% coupon. 5 sizes of pipe holes from 3/4" to 2" (I think). A big improvement over the screw/wrench variety.

Stu

Nice job!

You guys are sooo right about what happens when a spinning tool grabs. I've still got a ding on my off hand from when a 1/2" hand drill caught (5/8" cut down shank twist drill) and slammed my hand into the nearest piece of structure. I stopped using the 1/2' hand drill after that. I has 3 months of dust on it already.

I learned my lesson! If it can't be done with a 1/4" hand drill, I figure out how to clamp it in the drill press!

When I remember to do so, I'll ask myself which way things will move when (not "if") something jams or goes awry before I turn on the power. Hand placement, move something out of the way, one more clamp, etc. etc. It's a good safety practice, which I unfortunately don't always remember to do. Luckily, all my "skin souvenirs" have come from hand tools, not power tools.

It's kinda like Rule #3 of firearms safety - know what your target is and what's behind it.

My experience with 1/2 drills , hole saws and sheet metal never worked out very well. I stopped doing it and only use a 3/8 drill. If you replace the pilot drill with just a pilot after drilling the hole it works a little better.

Yup, Hole Saws grab big time and can cause serious injury if not used properly. For sheet metal, it helps to clamp pieces of scrap wood on both sides of the work and cut through the top piece of wood, remove the plug then cut through. Be sure the work is secure and you are braced against the force of rotation.

Back