Oops Tool

Never let your finger hit that little button that locks the trigger on. It can hurt until it spins enough to unplug or breaks the cord. Thought it was going to take my arm off but just broke a 2x4 instead. I'm real careful about using hole saws and large high powered drills now. Wife is like that looks like it would hurt, and I'm like yea.

You haven't done this much have you. ;) Yeah, they grab....big time. :eek:

Yeah! Try a 6” hole saw mounted in a Milwaukee Hole Hawg. You just might wind up in the hospital. It will first probably give you a good merry go round ride and wrap the power cord all around you and your arms will have more joints in it than it did before. Maybe even get an electric shock from the cord, or more. Then you go to the hospital and have to tell all the staff there how it all happened :(…Dave.

PS: I just realized that someone reading this could go and try it. PLEASE DO NOT. It was only in jest. A Milwaulee Hole Hawg can produce torque that can tear your arms off. I own one, but after the first time it got away from me. I now give it all the respect it wants by letting it collect dust. And I would only use the 6” hole saw on something soft like, dry wall/sheet rock. Be Safe.

Last edited:
:+1: I have an old all aluminum Milwaukee 1/2" drill If it grabs you are going for a ride. I had a friend that was 288# and layed block for a living. H was using it to drill a 3/4" hole in 1/2" steel plate. When it grabbed, it through him 4' across the yard. Needless to say he wouldn't touch that drill anymore.:laughing:. It was funny because the only thing it hurt was his pride.

:+1: I have an old all aluminum Milwaukee 1/2" drill If it grabs you are going for a ride. I had a friend that was 288# and layed block for a living. H was using it to drill a 3/4" hole in 1/2" steel plate. When it grabbed, it through him 4' across the yard. Needless to say he wouldn't touch that drill anymore.:laughing:. It was funny because the only thing it hurt was his pride.
I have an old Black & Decker like that. 1/2hp, 400rpm, no speed control. Pull the trigger and something *will* turn: the bit, the workpiece, you and the drill...

If you allow the hole saw to cut through in one spot, then "walk"the tilted hole saw around the cut counter clockwise, you really limit the amount of grab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 on this. I've had good success using that method. Also, I like to use a smooth rod as a pilot instead of the customary drill. A smooth pilot won't enlarge the center hole like a drill will.

FIL has a 9/16" drill early Japanese, speed around 150 rpm. He was laying on the ground drilling upward through a truck bumper to attach an offset bumper hitch. Drill bit rotated Him around and jammed Him (around 14" handles) up against a tire. He could not move and took awhile to release His grip on the drill switch. So to even make it worse the dog thought He was having so much fun, the dog laid against Him so He could not move.:D

Make the circle with a Sharpe and use a jigsaw with a fine tooth hacksaw blade made for jigsaws. Quicker, safer, and cheaper!

Sent from somewhere in east Texas!

FIL has a 9/16" drill early Japanese, speed around 150 rpm. He was laying on the ground drilling upward through a truck bumper to attach an offset bumper hitch. Drill bit rotated Him around and jammed Him (around 14" handles) up against a tire. He could not move and took awhile to release His grip on the drill switch. So to even make it worse the dog thought He was having so much fun, the dog laid against Him so He could not move.:D

LOL I'll bet there are youtube videos about that type of thing. If not yet, there will be.

I have an old Black & Decker like that. 1/2hp, 400rpm, no speed control. Pull the trigger and something *will* turn: the bit, the workpiece, you and the drill...
I've got the Sears Craftsman labeled version sitting on a shelf, collecting dust just to keep us all safe.

To my knowledge, it has never severely injured anyone. But my dad and myself have gotten our wrists twisted by it.

The Bosch variable speed next to it, is only slightly less dangerous.

I used to install locks. 2-1/4 multi-tooth forstner + old Craftsman 1/2" single-speed drill motor / binding in drill guide = MAJOR torque.

(Picture Wile E. Coyote being spun around in reverse...)

Back