Opinion on Accordion Way Covers

oskar

Registered
Registered
Looking on YouTube I find no mill has any way covers. Does your mill / lathe have any covers?

What’s your opinion about them? Perhaps they are more trouble than good?

I use coolant on my Tormach 770 CNC and wouldn't want to be without the way covers. My mill/drill has a single cover on the y axis, just a single sheet in an s curve. It helps to keep the chips off the ways. Nothing on the lathes.

I would not look a YouTube on this matter, you will find that just about every mill has a flexible rubber sheet way cover on the on the back of the saddle. The reason why accordion type are not used in this location is because you loose too much travel when they are folded up. Many knee mill come with an accordion way cover on the front of the saddle, otherwise they may have some form of sliding metal covers. On bench top mills you would loose too much Y travel with accordion type covers in the back or front of the saddle, although I added a rubber sheet type to the front on my last benchtop mill. Mills may also have a wiper system to clear chips, my knee mill has both. Have not seen way covers on manual lathes although some have leadscrew guards, lathes have chip guards on the moving surfaces.

BF30 Mill 5.jpg

I left the front (Y axes) accordion way cover on my mini mill but removed the smaller one the the back and instead I installed a piece of vinyl 16" long 12" wide for covering both the column(Z) and the Y ways , bought the material from Fabric Land for $3, money well spent.

You definitely need something to protect the ways on your mill but the only positive upgrade that I've done for my lathe was to build 4 V shaped metal way Way protectors that each holds a piece of felt, screwed on the saddle ,these lubricate and clean the ways and do a good job if I may say so myself. I have heard about lead screw "chip deflector" that is supposed to be a good upgrade but haven't bothered with it yet.

IMO, running flood coolant, or for that matter, any water based cooling system require a means of coolant exclusion from the ways. The water based coolants, at least those that I have a tendency to create corrosion spots if left unattended for any length of time. The accordion style way protectors drain the coolant away from the ways. Flood coolant, in particular tends to create car wash like situations with spray going everywhere within the enclosure
If only oil based lubricants are used, I'm fine with rubber sheet protectors.

I use a accordion style on my lathe. It helps a lot. My 9x20 is a pain always cleaning the ways under the chuck area and lead screw. My lathe came with lead screw cover which is awesome no more worrying chips in that. Wouldn’t be without
image.jpg
My mill already had a cover for rear ways but I ended up putting leather covers over closest to operator to cut down on chips and a padding for where I rest a tool once in awhile
image.jpg
I think they are well worth the mod. The accordion style I have found are not cheap so look around first.

My Mill has way covers for the saddle and wipers on the knee

My Bridgeport came with front and back accordion covers. Until this thread I never thought much about it.
I don’t think it’s a big deal either way. I think if you are a “neat desk” person, you will want the covers. Me, not so much.

Back