Opinion on Accordion Way Covers

My Bridgeport came with front and back accordion covers. Until this thread I never thought much about it.
I don’t think it’s a big deal either way. I think if you are a “neat desk” person, you will want the covers. Me, not so much.
Its more about if you care about your equipment. You get chips under the sliding surface on any piece it won't take very long to score up the ways. All my machines have felt wipers for the ways and covers where ever possible. Keep them oiled regularly they will all outlast me. Treat them right and they will treat you right.

I just have the smooth sheet of rubber. I always felt that the bellows styles would be very difficult to clean with all of those pleats. The smooth rubber sheets are bad enough. I mounted mine so that they could be easily removed. Just something you may want to think about.

You know all these old manual mills and lathes us hobby type machinists are refurbishing and getting pretty tight tolerances with? Most spent years and years being used 40 hours and more a week - without way covers. And the ways (of the salvageable) machines seem to be the least of the problems. I don't bother with them (I have wipers and oilers installed and I clean them after use). I doubt I am going to wear the ways out with the relatively little use (compared to a commercially used machine) I give them. I think it is just one of those things that in theory should be done but in reality doesn't make a tinkers worth of difference.

Agree with Groundhog! The railroad museum has a Bridgeport that’s been used for decades without covers...no problems. But if you do go that way, Randy, my accordion covers are pretty easy to clean, just lift them up in the middle and stretch out the folds, and brush off.

Thanks for shinning a light on the subject. I have a brand new lathe and never knew it was an option.
I will have to look at making something to fit my chip pan as it is not removable. Some rubber liners or something will be better than nothing.
thanks

You know all these old manual mills and lathes us hobby type machinists are refurbishing and getting pretty tight tolerances with? Most spent years and years being used 40 hours and more a week - without way covers. And the ways (of the salvageable) machines seem to be the least of the problems. I don't bother with them (I have wipers and oilers installed and I clean them after use). I doubt I am going to wear the ways out with the relatively little use (compared to a commercially used machine) I give them. I think it is just one of those things that in theory should be done but in reality doesn't make a tinkers worth of difference.

I think I'm with you on this subject, I was just wondering about it but the use a hobby machine gets it would be easier to just clean up after.

Covers of any kind hide stuff that should be cleaned and maintained. I have seen several machines that look like showroom (unused) condition with serious amounts of corrosion underneath the covers. Hell, the fact that many of these machines are in unheated shops and suffer condensation should be reason enough to leave them exposed to atmosphere and any air movement they can get.

Nothing wrong with using diverters and shields during operation but leaving a plastic/rubber "blanket" like covering over any part of a large iron/steel machine is folly.

Covers of any kind hide stuff that should be cleaned and maintained. I have seen several machines that look like showroom (unused) condition with serious amounts of corrosion underneath the covers. Hell, the fact that many of these machines are in unheated shops and suffer condensation should be reason enough to leave them exposed to atmosphere and any air movement they can get.

Nothing wrong with using diverters and shields during operation but leaving a plastic/rubber "blanket" like covering over any part of a large iron/steel machine is folly.

Another good reason to think before installing them covers, not that they dont serve any purpose but I think they will be more of a maintenance headache

I am thinking with a non removable chip pan , something should be set over the chip tray so that it can be removed to empty.
Anyone doing it like this?

Back