Opinions on a Logan 400 Lathe

Flapjack

Registered
Registered
Hey guys -

I am casually looking for a compact benchtop lathe for small hobbyist projects. I figure something like a vintage Atlas/Craftsman would be the right size and suit my needs, but this Logan 400 popped up on Craigslist a few days ago. I read that the Logan is a step up from the Atlas or Craftsman, but is it really worth more than double what I have seen the others go for? I don’t mind paying extra for quality, but the price seems high to me and I would really appreciate any thoughts since I know very little about metal lathes. My first post so I can’t link to the ad. Here’s how the ad reads:

“This is a vintage bench top Logan metal lathe in excellent running condition. This would make an ideal Christmas present for the person who has always wanted a metal lathe. It comes with a variety of tooling including a complete set of change gears (pictured) plus a face plate and lathe dog, 4 jaw chuck, dead center, a number of tools bits, wrenches, etc. It runs whisper quiet on normal 120V house current and you can see it operate under power. I am asking $1,450. Cash only. If the ad is still up it is still available. Please note that the bench and the wood the lathe is sitting on is not a part of the sale.”

Thanks!

Attachments

• 558D3DEF-94A9-4E7F-A144-01ADC2723F40.jpeg
    558D3DEF-94A9-4E7F-A144-01ADC2723F40.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 200
  • C8F8F390-2CFC-4ACC-A0E9-AD28CBE868BA.jpeg
    C8F8F390-2CFC-4ACC-A0E9-AD28CBE868BA.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 200
  • 12BCD532-BDB5-4439-A434-E4DFBF07391D.jpeg
    12BCD532-BDB5-4439-A434-E4DFBF07391D.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 169
  • AC228F44-CCB5-4A3D-A3F7-21B08A8216BC.jpeg
    AC228F44-CCB5-4A3D-A3F7-21B08A8216BC.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 667DB0DC-48C3-4B3A-8C2E-88C5F1C13325.jpeg
    667DB0DC-48C3-4B3A-8C2E-88C5F1C13325.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 58344B13-6797-483C-B2F1-441398FD31BB.jpeg
    58344B13-6797-483C-B2F1-441398FD31BB.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 200
Seems a tad bit high.
I got a SB 9C with more for $200 less, back in 2020.

Understand prices vary dramatically by location, a good price in an area where old machine tools are less common may be double the price of those areas where there was a lot of manufacturing.

I agree with Jim that the price seems high-ish, but it is not crazy.

The Logan 400 is a 9" lathe and not a super common model because Logan didn't sell 9" lathes as long as the 10" models. Also much less common than a 9" South Bend. Parts are available, but also less common than for the 10" models

The real advantage to this lathe is that it is only 9x18" so only 33" long and weighs around 250lbs so it is smaller and easier to manage moving than the typical 10x24" (Atlas, Logan, South Bend) which are going to weigh around 400lbs and be about a foot longer.

Atlas did sell a short 10x18 early on, but again rather rare. South Bend offered 9x17 and 9x23" (3 foot and 3-1/2 foot bed) which are fairly common.

Personally I'd say the real target market for this particular lathe is somebody considering a 6" Atlas / Craftsman, 7x16" or 8x16" import lathe or a collector. If you have room for a 10x24" or larger you can probably find a better deal. If the size is appealing to you, then it might be worth seeing how firm the seller is on price. A new Grizzly G4000 9x20 runs $1800 these days, so like I said seems high, but not crazy.

When I have seen Logans come up for sale they weren't twice as much as Atlas or Craftsman. $1250 is a good price in my neck of the woods but if it's double what you're used to seeing in your area, I would pass.

I own a Logan and can say that the quality is decent but I've never laid hands on Atlas or Craftsman so can't say it's better than them.

I picked up my Wards10” (Logan) with change gears 3&4 jaw chuck steady rest and collet for $600 in SoCal 3 years ago. In very good shape. Be patient and something good will show up at a fair price. Do not jump at the first thing you see. Do your research.
Then last year I found a 9”SB Model A with a 4foot bed for $700. This machine saw very little use original scraping still on entire length of ways. I only had to replace the cross slide nut.

Cutting oil is my blood.

My first lathe was a South Bend 9" w/change gears. A similar unit to this one, only longer. The lack of a gearbox wasn't a problem per se, but it does decrease the value of the machine. As the others have stated, that Logan seems overpriced for what it is. I'm in So Calif, which is a high-cost area, and Logan 10/11" units with gear box and stands come up regularly for that kind of money.

Thanks guys. All that information is extremely helpful and much appreciated. I’m going to keep my eyes open to see what else might come along unless this one comes down in price quite a bit.

Hey guys -

I am casually looking for a compact bench top lathe for small hobbyist projects. I figure something like a vintage Atlas/Craftsman would be the right size and suit my needs, but this Logan 400 popped up on Craigslist a few days ago. I read that the Logan is a step up from the Atlas or Craftsman, but is it really worth more than double what I have seen the others go for? I don’t mind paying extra for quality, but the price seems high to me and I would really appreciate any thoughts since I know very little about metal lathes. My first post so I can’t link to the ad. Here’s how the ad reads:

“This is a vintage bench top Logan metal lathe in excellent running condition. This would make an ideal Christmas present for the person who has always wanted a metal lathe. It comes with a variety of tooling including a complete set of change gears (pictured) plus a face plate and lathe dog, 4 jaw chuck, dead center, a number of tools bits, wrenches, etc. It runs whisper quiet on normal 120V house current and you can see it operate under power. I am asking $1,450. Cash only. If the ad is still up it is still available. Please note that the bench and the wood the lathe is sitting on is not a part of the sale.”

Hello, I have a Logan 9B -17 lathe with the gear box. Logans are excellent machines. I have an atlas 618 also. I got both machines very cheap (200) Canadian. When i bought the machines i was looking for a project machine, As i always do. The asking price for the machine you are looking at is the average price n my area. In general on KIJJI here in canada people want a lot for the Logans and people pay it. I have looked at Busy bee machines, (Imports). Even for the smallest lathe they want 1200 bucks. And that has plastic gears.

The Logan 9B - !7 i have is the same grey colour, but all of the machine is grey, I notice this one is two different colours. It does not really matter but it could be two machines made into one.

Back