Opinions on chuck size

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
Contrary to popular belief, size does matter!! I've got a Logan 210 lathe. Nothing special about it, it is the standard machine with the 1 1/2"-8 threaded spindle, 24" between centers, and so on. When I bought the lathe the previous owner threw in a 5" Cushman 3 jaw scroll chuck that had been severely damaged at one point in its life. The jaws have been added to by welding on some stock, then grinding down, the body shows signs of extreme damage, and a number of other transgressions. I knew that it would need to be a temporary member of my stable, and I use my 6" 4 jaw anytime I have to do something that needs some real accuracy, dialing in the stock each time to get it centered up.

Anyway, I am now at the point where I am getting ready to purchase a new 3 jaw chuck and backplate for this lathe. I briefly considered a used chuck, but most of those that I find do not appear to be much better than what I have, the second set of jaws is usually absent, and the price is darn near that of a new chuck.

So, I am looking at chucks and I am thinking that I might like a small chuck at some point in the future for doing small work, let's say a 3" or 4". There are times when a 6" chuck would be really handy too. So I am thinking about purchasing a 6" three jaw chuck now, and maybe a 3" chuck later. The other option is just to stick with a 5" three jaw for this machine and go from there.

So the questions are as follows: Have any of you gone to a 6" three jaw chuck on your 10" lathe? If so, what problems do you encounter?? Do think maybe you should have stayed with a 5" chuck, or is the 6" the way to go?

I am looking for opinions here, good and bad so I can make a proper decision. I am leaning in the direction of a 6", but I can see the advantages of sticking with a 5" also.

Let's hear what you've got to say, gang, I'm all ears!

Good question, I think I lean more to a 6 inch unless you are machining a needle. I mean by that Is, my GK has a very expensive Rohm 10" 3 jaw & is on the boarder with maybe a
1/4 part chucked up, but we dont use this lathe for smalls. Then on the S Bends we run 8" 4 jaws. Guess its a toss up, but I think a 6" is more versitile. Myself I never got along
to well with 3 Jaws but, the Rohm I got, kind of rules, but ya gotta take out a loan for one.
sam

I'm thinkin you are on the right road with a 6 inch 3 jaw and buying a 3 or 4 inch chuck lster on for smaller items we tend to make with our smaller machines. So it is just my opinion, but I do think you have the right approach already figgered out.

Bob

I dont know if it helps or not but it seems to me a 6 3 jaw and 8" 4 jaw is what most do on the 9x20 imports. Thats where I'll be heading for long as well

I like having the 6-inch on my 10L Southbend. I bought a Bison with the 2 piece jaws new at a very low price. This chuck does most every thing I need to do, for smaller work I use collets. My lathe takes 5C's. My 9- inch Southbend has a 5-inch Bison this is also a nice chuck. I have thought about making a backing plate for the 5-inch so I can use it on the 10 inch machine, but I have not run into anything that has required the size change.

So to answer your question, I would go with your thoughts of the 6-inch and a smaller 3 or 4-inch for smaller work.

Paul

Hey;

Logan does recommend a 6" max for these of course, to reduce/eliminate accidental jaw strikes. I would say that if you got a really good quality 6", You could obviate the need for a second smaller one. A nice 6-jaw would do it!

Good question, I think I lean more to a 6 inch unless you are machining a needle. I mean by that Is, my GK has a very expensive Rohm 10" 3 jaw & is on the boarder with maybe a
1/4 part chucked up, but we dont use this lathe for smalls. Then on the S Bends we run 8" 4 jaws. Guess its a toss up, but I think a 6" is more versitile. Myself I never got along
to well with 3 Jaws but, the Rohm I got, kind of rules, but ya gotta take out a loan for one.

sam

I have an older 10" X 60" machine that is happy using anything from a 3" 3 jaw to an 8" 4 jaw chuck. I have half a dozen 3 jaw chucks ranging in size from 3" to 8", several 4 jaw chucks ranging in size from 4" to 8", and a 5C collet chuck. All in all I select the chuck depending on the size of work I'm doing. A 6" chuck is a good all around pick, but when working with small diameter stock (1/4" or less) I prefer one of the smaller diameter 3 jaw ones or the collet chuck. It's just easier to work around and doesn't require spinning an additional 25 - 40 lbs. of metal.

I have an 8" 3-jaw on my 10" lathe most of the time but also have a 6" 3-jaw as a spare. The heavier (8") chuck adds nice mass and seems to help reduce chatter with the increased inertia. If you are working on small diameter tasks often, then the little 3" - 4" would be good. As others mentioned, the 5C collet chucks are a real time saver.

Matt

I have a 4" 3 jaw (stock) on my 9x20 and a 5" 4 jaw in the drawer. The 3 jaw is surprisingly accurate. I have used the 4 jaw a few times but the 3 stays on the lathe pretty much all the time. I haven't seen a need for anything larger. Anything heavy that approaches the max holding size of the 3 jaw is pretty much getting close to exceeding the lathe and chuck's ability to hold and machine the item.

Back