Opinions on chuck size

I finally got my new backplate machined and the chuck mounted to it yesterday and I must say that I am quite satisfied with the results. Tested for runout and it came in at .0012" with a .750" diameter test piece. I cannot complain about that!

Thanks, Mr. Ed. Did you purchase the front or rear mount chuck?

Mike B.

Thanks, Mr. Ed. Did you purchase the front or rear mount chuck?

Mike B.
I ended up with the rear mount. Bought both chuck and back plate as a package. Back plate was pre drilled.

Sorry I did not reply sooner, I've been out of the loop for a while for a number of reasons, one of them being that I have been out of town for work for most of the last three weeks. Anyway, Ed beat me to the punch, and was able to answer your question. Thanks Ed!

Like Ed, I bought both the back plate and the chuck at the same time. The back plate for mine was also pre-drilled, I only had to cut the register on the back to fit it to my lathe. Oh, and yes, a chuck key came with it, which is standard practice if I recall correctly.

Hey, Terry.

After reading this thread about your purchase I thought I would buy the same chuck but a rear mount including the back plate. It seems to be the biggest bang for the buck for what I need. I have an old 6 inch Cushman that is seriously worn and would cost more to restore than purchase a new import chuck. The run-out on yours was impressive. Thanks.

I bought one of these chucks about ten years ago to put on my 9" SBL. I will say it has been a very nice chuck to own. I made the chuck adapter about .005" loose so I could adjust it to running dead true for my needs. I think in the past ten years, I've only re-adjusted it once or twice. Never had an issue with runout, always within .0005" or better! at most diameter up to around 1.500". For a Chinese made chuck, not bad, but nice!

Back