opinions on face milling cutter

Mutt

Registered
Registered
What's y'all's thoughts on this face milling cutter head? I will be using it to cleanly face aluminum castings. I like the round inserts as you can rotate them many times, versus 2, 3 or 4 times only with rectangle/triangle/square inserts.My concerns is will this cutter do a super nice finish on my Bridgeport mill or is there something even better

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-face-mil...CKT1204-Round-inserts-506-R200-4/183516469796

I'd think that a high shear facemill with square inserts would be much better for aluminum, if you want a nice finish.

A round insert cutter just beats the metal off, a high shear cutter cuts it off cleanly and with much less power used. Like comparing a sharp knife and a sledge hammer.

So if that's the case, why would anyone make and sell cutters like this one?Is it for roughing only? Steel only?

So if that's the case, why would anyone make and sell cutters like this one?Is it for roughing only? Steel only?
That would be my guess; it would probably work well on a rough torch burnt surface.

When I had my business, I bought a couple of R8 shank face mills that used positive rake triangular inserts; they worked well on the Induma (Italian) BP type mill that I had, milling assorted metals, Later I found a nice high shear 6" face mill that we used on a horizontal boring mill and a #2 Cincinnati mill, it was a pleasure to use compared to the negative rake face mills that we used before, but they have their place too, for such as rough and hard metals.

so can you post a picture of a face mill like you are talking about? I need a real nice finish on this aluminum

The face mill is at the shop that I sold some years ago, it takes a square insert with a flat "wiper" at each corner, as can be seen, the insert sits a a considerable angle, allowing it to cut freely.

face mill 001 - Copy.JPG

face mill 002 - Copy.JPG

face mill 003.JPG

Back